Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The Acupuncture isfor pain relief, and can be done while the dog is on other pain relief medication.
Here`s my boy (the Pointer) who developed Spondylosis when he was 7 or 8. This is his 15th birthday party in the Park with his friends. The vest harness was to help him up and down steps., and he wore that for his last 6 months. .

Hi, yes I know acupuncture is meant for pain releif but right now I want to have a definate relief i.e. with vets anti inflamatories. I am open minded about acupuncture and this is fine once the worst pain of her is past, this way if it didnt work no real problem for her.

I have checked on it and they want £60 per week for half hour sessions on her and whilst we dont begrude anything we spend on our pets. We are now retired, have just paid almost £600 to our vets for the Dobie xrays and treatments plus one of my cats needed treatment for a grass he had stuck behind his soft pallet so we have to be realistic especially as no pet insurance.

Right now she is getting the best care, I feel, from the vet and medication and follow up xrays. Whereas the acupuncture route is expensive and still a bit of a gray area as to the real benefits long term.

I have had this myself after a car crash and I have to say it didnt really do anything for the continual neck pain I have and I have to be guided by this.

Thankyou so much for replyign though, and for the lovely pic of your old boy - we can never replace them can we, just do our best for them.
kind regards Maureen.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Sorry its spondylosis that has been mentioned a few times but perhaps with regard to pain control it may still be worth a dig around?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Maureen - Metacalm can be hard on the tummy so just keep a close eye on her with this regard.

Rosie [now with the angels] was diagnosed at 4/5 with spondylosis, it was discovered during a scan for something else. Her whole spine was fused - vets said they had never seen anything so bad.

We helped control her pain with Glucosamine [she was a Boxer so roughly same size/weight dobe I would think] she got 500mg in morning and 500 at night. She could not take anything like Metacalm. I "covered" her tummy with half Gaviscon at breakfast time and half at bedtime, it helps to line the gut.

Towards the end the vet put her onto PLTs - Prednoleucotropin - they are combination of low dose steroid, Aspirin and anti inflammatory - so they are something to keep in mind, but do keep an eye on her tummy wise - the vet could give you something to cover her tummy if she does have problems
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Apparently many humans by time they are middle aged have spondylosis, often just like dogs, they get xrayed for something unrelated and it is noticed. I believe spondylosis in of itself is not necessarily any big deal, apparently it isn't always painful and depends on the dog...even when pretty much the whole vertebrae is fused. what will be noticeable though is a lack of flexibility in the spine.

I've seen vids of dogs who've had fusion all up the spine and still enjoying a full and active life (and no pain killers), so it depends on the dog and not necessarily a condition to be over flapping about.

Anyway, I hope you get your pain meds sorted out in the interim, but it may be just an idea to reassess the dog once the spurs have fused, you may even be able to reduce or even dispense with the meds.

I'm no expert on this, I've just been doing quite a lot of research over the past year on my own dog being diagnosed with a serious spinal condition.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Maureen19 View Post
well I can only go on vets advice and I have seen the spurs on the xrays myself.

Many thanks Maureen
So its not the cervical vertibrae? Only asking as its a known problem in Dobes and having had one myself I would of been able to tell you how I managed it.
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Apparently many humans by time they are middle aged have spondylosis, often just like dogs, they get xrayed for something unrelated and it is noticed. I believe spondylosis in of itself is not necessarily any big deal, apparently it isn't always painful and depends on the dog...even when pretty much the whole vertebrae is fused. what will be noticeable though is a lack of flexibility in the spine.

I've seen vids of dogs who've had fusion all up the spine and still enjoying a full and active life (and no pain killers), so it depends on the dog and not necessarily a condition to be over flapping about.

Anyway, I hope you get your pain meds sorted out in the interim, but it may be just an idea to reassess the dog once the spurs have fused, you may even be able to reduce or even dispense with the meds.

I'm no expert on this, I've just been doing quite a lot of research over the past year on my own dog being diagnosed with a serious spinal condition.
Thankyou for the reply, and yes I have researched too and my vet has told me a lot about what to expect.

One thing I have never understood though is when vets say how much an animal is suffering given any particular illness, unless they are that animal how can they know. All I can say without doubt is that my dog is suffering at times badly with this pain, the vet says the xrays are bad but she kept her pain from me for years, she isnt a whimp by any means but her little face goes pinched and she stares watery eyed at my face and for a minute or two wont walk or eat even her favourite treat until the pain passes.

Her spine is completely straight right now and she is still in very good shape and no fat on her which helps. I exercise her 4 times a day which she loves and the vet said that if she can tolerate this it will help with how the fusing takes place i.e. her mobility probably wont be affected greatly always assuming that she doesnt spring up with more spurs on other vertibrae, but that is in the lap of the Gods.

Thankyou for all your advice. Maureen.
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So its not the cervical vertibrae? Only asking as its a known problem in Dobes and having had one myself I would of been able to tell you how I managed it.
Yes the spurs are growing on the vertibrae and will fuse underneath as is the norm. She does not have Wobblers Syndrome which Dobies are prone to, if that is what you are talking about, this is Spondylosis or litis, never know which spelling..
Maureen.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I do agree with you, it does not matter if it is supposed to be painful or not, if you know your dog and you think it is in pain, then it probably is and treat accordingly...until you can see effective relief. Just my 0.02.
sbats2013
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Maureen19 View Post

Chloe is a 5 year old doberman, she has had spondulosis/litis for a number of years according to an old Xray my vet did of her for something else when she was around 2 years old (but I was never told of this).

Now at 5, she was showing signs of pain to me and I took her to vets they xrayed twice and compared to the old xrays and they can se that the spurs have grown in two places and tell me that they are almost fused on one of them. My vet says that the pain almost stops once fused, but until then he put her on Rimadyl which I dont like from when my last Doberman was on it for 4 years with arthritis in the legs and feet.

My Dobie didnt really get much pain relief with Rimadyl so today I spoke to vet and he has got her now on Metacam and I think (fingers crossed) that this seems to be giving her more relief as she has chased a couple of rabits and seemed to be better when out walking.

I exercise her 4 times a day, 3 of those on short limbering up walks which seem to free up the pain a bit. But the mornings are the worse, she wont eat and looks miserable but is a different dog around 3 in the afternoon when she get her walk in the forest every day.

I am doing my very best as she is only 5 and i am trying to massage her spine too, although I have yet t learn how to do this properly.

I love her and she will be my last dog and had hoped she would go on to around 10 when at this age my others have always died, Dobermans are very short lived dogs and if you manage to get one to 11 you have done something right or luck was with you.

I dont know how this will pan out, I will get her xrayed again in 8 weeks to see if these have fused and also if any other vertibrae are growing spurs (I hope not) although my vet told me one of his own dogs, a spaniel had spurs on every single vertibrae and lived until 15. So hope for us all.

If anyone has any good ending stories about their own dog with this conditon and how they managed it long term I would like to hear some good news. For now I am not going to go down the acupuncture route as right now she needs definate pain relief as she is a tough girl so if she is showing signs of pain, it must be bad.

Thanks to all who have answered me.
Maureen.
Hi Magic,
I have a springer Spaniel who was diagnosed with spondylitis 2 years ago. Holly is 12 and a very active Springer never stops when she is in the fields, however from time to time she has severe attacks of pain from her spondylitis and we manage it with Tramadol and Metacam and she is absolutley fine on it. One of our new vets did suggest we try Gabapentin(this is a human drug and give humans strange effects) the vet said they weren't sure if dogs do, but after giving Holly her 2nd dose she was climbing the walls, totally disorientated, I immediately put her back on her Metacam and tramadol, occasionally she does have a course of antibiotics if the inflamation is so severe. hopefully she will go on and the pain will ease(she lost her mum in April and has been very sad) so hopefully there is luck on the horizon for Holly
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Steph and welcome to Dogsey.

I do not know if you noticed that this thread is three years old and I do not know whether there has been an update since then.

With regard to Gabapentin it is normally used for epileptic dogs who focal, partial and mixed seizures. Not for major epilepsy or as s a pain-killer, and I have heard many reports of epi dogs "climbing the walls" when given Gabapentin.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >