View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Help!My Staff sits down when he sees other dogs!

Hi All,
Any advice? My staff Greg has taken to sitting down when he sees another dog(even if they are the other side of the park). He just wants to play with every dog he meets and has just started the 'sitting down' problem recently. I walk him in the mornings before work everyday, if we see another dog in the park he usually has a little play then on he goes, but because he is a staff lots of dog owners pull their dog away (he hasnt a vicious bone in his body!). But Greg just wants to play! he then sits down and wont move not even for a treat/toy most of the time. In the evenings im not pushed for time and normally ride it out wait for a while and then we walk on, but in the morning I just dont have this time ! any tips?????
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Does he have a favourite toy you could take with you? If so you could try distracting him before he sees the other dog and get him so interested in the toy that he only has eyes for you and not the other dog.

Lizzie
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2006, 09:50 PM
As hes normally playful have you tried getting him a little excited like with using your voice, turning in a different direction....you need to watch for just when he looks like hes about to sit and then start making sounds....his name or something like 'okay puppy....lets go' but elevate your voice to get him excited....it should put the focus back on you then as your doing this turn in the opposite direction and walk off with him even if its just a few steps.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 01:46 PM
can u put him on a long line (30ft) and just walk away from him when he does this? most dogs will follow when they realise u are leaving.