Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Like "I" said, thats your opinion. Once more, just for your benefit, I KNOW carriers do NOT have the condition, I used that term to illustrate the fact that they have the capacity to pass on the disease, but do not have it and will not develop it themselves, it may of been worded wrongly, but thats what I meant as I have repeatedly said!

Lets look at your breed Dawn.
CECS.
There is no test for it at the present and its a pretty newly discovered disease.
Suppose one of yours had it.
Would you be screaming blue murder at the breeder about it ?
Would you blame them for breeding a disease which can`t yet be tested for and was`nt known about fully ?
Or if a test is developed which turned out later not to give the full picture, [ like previous eye testing for CEA before DNA... ], but you trusted in the early developed test then yourself bred a litter with the condition, would you expect to be jumped on or would you be saying` but I did test for it and the results were that all was ok at the time, how was I to know that a few years down the line a better test would come along that would prove the previous testing to be flawed ?`.

Perhaps to be on the safe side, as some Border Terriers are affected by CECS but there is no test yet, no Border Terriers should be bred at all in the meantime....
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Lets look at your breed Dawn.
CECS.
There is no test for it at the present and its a pretty newly discovered disease.
Suppose one of yours had it.
Would you be screaming blue murder at the breeder about it ?
Would you blame them for breeding a disease which can`t yet be tested for and was`nt known about fully ?
Or if a test is developed which turned out later not to give the full picture, [ like previous eye testing for CEA before DNA... ], but you trusted in the early developed test then yourself bred a litter with the condition, would you expect to be jumped on or would you be saying` but I did test for it and the results were that all was ok at the time, how was I to know that a few years down the line a better test would come along that would prove the previous testing to be flawed ?`.

Perhaps to be on the safe side, as some Border Terriers are affected by CECS but there is no test yet, no Border Terriers should be bred at all in the meantime....

But would that wipe out Border terriers ?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
But would that wipe out Border terriers ?
Depends how long it takes for a DNA test to happen - could take years so it would certainly minimise the gene pool to drastic levels if there were any left by then, and who knows what other new diseases may be found in the meantime which breeders will unknowingly be continuing until they can be identified unless all breeding stops now of course, `just in case`...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I loved it - as always. Hated the camera work but love HTM and love watching Mary as the dogs are always so happy!

I do a dodgy version of canine freestyle with Takara (I'm not very good!) and she absolutely loves it! When we've finished, she barks for more!

In my opinion, if the dog enjoys it there can't be much wrong with it! Although I do understand that some people just don't like watching it.
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Have to agree with the coverage. Clare Balding is such a cold presenter. I thought they could have shown so many more breeds and the competitions instead of the quick flashes that they did, as that is why we all tuned in.
completely agree
Crufts is supposed to be about the dogs, not egotistic presenters... bring back the old shows of crufts.. before it became centred around Clare Balding....
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by memphisminstrel View Post
Don't like Mary Ray, she pinches bits of other peoples routines and presents them as her own also she breeds puppies to sell and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
do you mean puppies that are to young ?
Page 24 of 24 « First < 14 21 22 23 24