Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 12:17 AM

potty training! help!

hiya all, i have been trying to train archie to wee in certain areas puppy mats and newspapers, we have made a cection for him to do this on, at first we were making it smaller, but decided to make it a bit bigger again becuase he wouldnt go on it, well he would at first then he would jsut put his 2 front paws on it..........and wee all on the floor

SO! his area is big now we have cut open a old bin bag (thats how bit it is) and we have done the treats thing, as soon as he goes in the middle or on it he is treated, at one point he knew hed get treated so he was constantly going on it doing the tinyest mini wees one after the other! but we didnt care as he was gettin used to it, we put him on htere and say 'toliet' and he literally goes on command.........

now the past few days its like his gone backwards! and its really dishearting, today he hasnt even been on the paper, when i stamp my foot n shout no! for him to stop (on the floor) he just keeps going now!! he used to stop!

he wees next to the paper on the floor, not even putting his paws on it anymore, we cant even make the area biugger it takes up half the bloody lounge!!

then all of a sudden im walking into rooms with wee on the carpet!!!

i just dont get it?! a min ago he going on it like clockwork...now its like 'im gonna wee anywhere i like!'

ive bought him a ugodog, itll be here tom i hope, he even followed my boyf into the kitchen & weed all on the floor.........then over boyfs feet as you can tell no one was happy!

i feel like we have got no where with it when it was coming together so well
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Might be worth scrapping the newspaper plan and getting him to go outside ?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I agree with Phil. I know you had difficulties to start with when he hadn't had his jags, but now that he is ok to be outside, I would start taking him out at least every couple of hours.
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
It is ten times better to start as you mean to go on and go outside. If you start with pads or paper you are just teaching them to pee inside. Take pup out after every meal, nap, play and if you see them circling and scraping at the floor. Lots of praise and even a treat when they go outside. You could start using a certain word when they pee or poop so they associate it and later when they have learned they will go by you saying the word.
I remember it was soo hard work with Flynn. He had to be watched constantly! But they learn fast and he was soon asking to go out.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Agree with them ^^^

I never recommend using newspaper/pads EXCEPT in the crate for overnight. If you are walking in and he is peeing on the carpet it is your fault for 2 reasons:
1. if you take him out every hour on the hour, he will very very quickly learn that toilet time happens regularly, and where to do it (increases chances of him learning to 'ask' to get out if you go out the same door.
2. if you are not watching him, he should go in a crate/area that he is safe. Too young to wander the house freely - sorry!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
He sounds a little worried, especially peeing on boyfriends feet....you need to take it back to basics...I agree with the others, outside is best.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
hiya thanks i know, its just that im not well due to illness and i get in so much pain i cant walk, then i cant take him outside
it would be so much eaasier with a garden!! ARGH!

ill have to wait until i am better and then i think you are right outside it is!!

do you think that if i took some of his wee out(!) on some tissue and put it on the ground it would help him to go outside??

thanks! :@)
crystal
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2008, 04:09 PM
So sorry to hear you have been ill. Hope you will be feeling better soon.

Its very difficult to get a puppy house trained without a garden. But I really don't think you should allow him the run of the house or he will have his scent everywhere and that will makes matters worse.

When you are well enough to go out, take him out at least every hour to start with and lots and lots of praise when he goes outside and give him a treat. I'm sure he will soon get the hang of it.

Good Luck
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
i couldnt agree more, i know its not easy for you and im sorry to hear that you have been poorly, but going outside makes it infinitely easier than paper training.
I know my latest addition has the benefit of other dogs to learn from, but the regular going outside accompanied with lots of praise/reward works best.
When i made sudden noises for the mistakes indoors my dog was also unable to stop when interrupted but she has still learnt that the uninterrupted and rewarded toilet outside is best.
My cavalier took months and months and months to housetrain and it was disheartening, but try and kepp ultra clam and take it all in your stride, I did with the staff and my GSD pup and its made the world of difference.