Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Young handlers family `lounge`

Prompted by a lovely post

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=221

Please add your thoughts / tips / experiences and thoughts of how young`uns especially can be benefitted by entering Companion / fun shows and how you help them deal with not always winning.

It would be lovely also if parents would like to post comments from/on behalf of their youngsters so that we get the next generations views on things - and with that in mind, from this Dogsey member to all other Dogsey members :smt052 please ensure that this thread is well mannered at all times as this is a thread I would like to be considered as being dedicated to youngsters for their enjoyment :smt001
kerjord
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2007, 06:12 PM
A few tips on kiddie friendly shows...

Do have separate classes for kids. They are great to watch as well as for the participants. Include kids in all aspects of your show on a more equal playing field e.g.

In pedigree
AV Open Child handler

Handing
Child handler 6??-11
child handler 12-16

(Remember that by having these classes as part of pedigree or handling YKC handlers can have points in tehir books towards YKC cetificates which they can't do if the class is part of the novelty. Kids who don't enter open and other shows because it's too expensive or their dog isn't suitable only have a chance to get points in companion Shows. It's always good to rope in a few knowledgeable volunteers to give kids tips and round up any dogs that escape from their young charges and tell kids when to get their dogs ready for the judge. Some shows give prizes to all entrants - I don't have strong views on this. My son will!!)

With obedience it's good to give a prize to the child with the most points.

Have fun classes children can enjoy - waggy tail; fancy dress; dog like owner; races like dog treat and spoon; consolation class; child's best friend. I've never seen it but I'd like child who has the best turned out dog (gives the chld and judge a chance to talk about grooming and care.)

Show secretaries to give good advice to parents as to which classes are best for children e.g best sporting dog might not be best for 3 year old with bounding bouncing Bonnie, the lab!! Parents to realise they are responsible for their child and dog when they are in the ring, not the steward!

I usually contact shows before I go to make sure my son who was 6 last year and 7 this year can go in the ring with his dog. Some shows limit younger children in the ring. Once I was told he could by the show secretary he could but the steward took a different view about child handlers and asked parents to go in the ring too.

If it is a hot day I try to avoid extremely large classes as child and dog get very hot, unless the show split classes.
I take sun cream; drinks; hat and a large washing up bowl full of water for both to have fun and cool off. The show ends with a fun water fight in the car park.