View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 01:25 PM

problems with walking wont go !! (Lead training for puppy)

i have a problem with trying to walk poppy its been a wwek now since i could take her out , so every day i take her out the front { i have to carry her out } for 5 min but she just drops to the floor and i cant get her to budge i brought her a new extendable lead in case the chain one made a noise , ive tried ignoring her and looking a plonker with a dog just laying on the floor and ive tried treats to encorage her but nothing works ive even put the lead on indoors and the garden but nothing makes a diff i find it very strange behavior for a dog any suggestions would be great
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Awww she will get used to it eventually don't worry about it - I can remember taking Sabre to meet the kids from school on one of his first outings when he was about 14 weeks old and I got him just up the road and round the corner and then he plonked down and wouldn't budge for anything, I ended up carrying him home and he weighed over 2 1/2 stone He did this several times but gradually got used to it. Benji was the same - we would just get to the corner and then he would sit down and wouldn't walk and I think I just encouraged him by talking to him and he was fine after a week or two and couldn't wait to go on a walk I am sure someone will be along soon to give you proper advice on what to do but I think most puppies are like this on their first walks.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
she is so diff from ella , she couldn wait to go but i now look out so no one see me standing there twiddling my thumbs with her on the end of the lead
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Maybe just try her around the house and then the garden until she gets used to the lead. Once she is walking fine here I would then just take her out for a few minutes at a time. Maybe just the end of the garden and back and just progress it from here.
If she is tentative just go with it. You'll probably just need alot of patience but I'm sure you'll get there in the end
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I would do as Berger suggested. Put a lightweight leash on her indoors and let her drag it around (strictly supervised)....then when it doesnt seem to bother her/when shes ignoring it pick it up but initially go with her, as little tension on the leash as possible but gradually increasing the tension so she can feel that there is someone at the other end....let her lead you to start (I know, its contradictory to general leash training but it works)......once she has the hang of that she should (hopefully) be more relaxed about the leash being there....then you want to use a lot of motivation to get her to come with you...treats, squeeky toys, 'happy puppy sounds' etc.
I would make sure she is confident in the house and garden though before taking her on the street if possible.

Also dont do it when she might be tired or straight after eating.

Sorry....I dont know how old your dog is, Im assuming she is just a pup and hasnt been on a leash before.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
awww bless her, it's all just very new to her and different dogs take walking differently at first.

I'd suggest as Berger has said, but just keep trying, she'll get used to it sooner than you think, maybe take out some yummy treats and make a wee trail down the path for her to follow, or coax her to walk with a toy.

She'll get there in the end
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Sorry, can you bring me up to speed, how old is the dog/puppy, how long have you owned her, how long has she had a collar on and does she accept it ok? Was the dog taken out in someone’s arms before she was old enough to go out on her own feet?
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
maybe take out some yummy treats and make a wee trail down the path for her to follow
I'd go with that too. Let the nose do the work for you. I'd be amazed if this doesn't just sort of resolve itself as she becomes more confident. (Though I'd be careful about turning the carrying out into a habit she got too accustomed to.)
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
she is 16 weeks now , and yes has a collar that she has taken to fine , i have tried leaving the lead on in the house and she will move a bit if im not holding it
i just didn think it was normal behavior for a pup of her age and its taken a wek so far at 5 min a day with no progress i dont want to over to her to much should i try twice a day
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
she is 16 weeks now , and yes has a collar that she has taken to fine , i have tried leaving the lead on in the house and she will move a bit if im not holding it
i just didn think it was normal behavior for a pup of her age and its taken a wek so far at 5 min a day with no progress i dont want to over to her to much should i try twice a day
I would just give it a go around the house or garden, if she shows no interest forget it for a while, hour at least, and come back later. Even just picking up the lead so she stands calmly at first then dropping it and rewarding her would be a start. Then increase the time she allow you to hold the lead and stand calmly and progress from there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >