Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 09:40 AM

Help with leads

Not really sure where to put this....so if it's in the wrong place, please move it!

Ok...when wearing a collar, Teagan shakes her head a lot. She shakes it that much, that the clip on the lead has come undone.

That was with the double ended lead. So, I thought perhaps the clip is a bit loose, and I have been using another lead I have.

Today, walking down the main road to the park, she stopped to shake, and at the same time, a dog in a parked car next to us, went mad, barking. Teagan jumped when she was shaking, and the lead came unclipped from her collar!
Luckily, she came to me when I called her name, but my heart was beating so fast! What if she had jumped a little further! She would have been on the road!

I have tried fastening the clip bith ways (facing left/right). No difference

Is there any way to 'lock' the clip down? Or buy a lead with a clip that locks into place? I can't risk this happenning again, I was so scared
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Hevvur this really should not happen with a good quality lead

I would be inclined to take it back and complain 'it does not serve the purpose for which it was intended' namely to restrain your dog.

I prefer the leads with the side clip that you press with your thumb, not the bottom claws because pressure tends to open these..or those with a little catch..the best ones are normally sold at dog shows, do you understand the ones I mean I will try to find pics..put power going of here shortly for repairs
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Heather.

Not sure if you still have prob walking Teagan. If not, these leads are great and I doesnt use anything else on Ally. Its one long string and you can adjust if it should be tight or loose around her neck

If you cant use them, I would try go to a place where they sell aqipment to horses. They have all sorts of ...and now I dont know your word for it
the metal thing that you call clip? I know they can be bought both with panic openings that will open if a lot of weigh is on it (like if the horse throws itself) but also very strong that will hold even the biggest horse - so Teagan should be safe
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Mini - these are the clips on both leads that have come undone.
I've had them both a while, and can't even remember where I got them from! lol

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2005, 10:05 AM
The only thing I can think of is ......go to a horse saddlery and buy a "lead rope"......they are make to walk a hores with, so they will be stronger than a normal lead.....and the clips are more sturdy, you can get rope or webbing or even leather ones, and there have a variety of clips. you will pay from a couple of pounds up.......and they are about 3ft long . I have found them to be better for large strong dogs, (you can get a better grip)

P.S sometimes those clips get a bit clogged up with dirt ,and they dont clip shut properly ,so give them a rinse under warm water know and again........
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by amts
Hi Heather.

Not sure if you still have prob walking Teagan. If not, these leads are great and I doesnt use anything else on Ally. Its one long string and you can adjust if it should be tight or loose around her neck

If you cant use them, I would try go to a place where they sell aqipment to horses. They have all sorts of ...and now I dont know your word for it
the metal thing that you call clip? I know they can be bought both with panic openings that will open if a lot of weigh is on it (like if the horse throws itself) but also very strong that will hold even the biggest horse - so Teagan should be safe
I have tried slip leads on Teagan (if that is what you mean?). I have one.
But they aren't very wide, and as Teagan is so strong, they tend to pull a lot on her neck as she pulls on the lead.

Thankyou for the idea on clips for horses...thats a good idea!
People say I could ride Teagan like a horse
Meg
Supervisor

19-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Hevvur I don't like these...not strong enough . Will try to find pics when power is back on
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2005, 10:21 AM
you could always put one of those halti links onto her collar and lead this way if it does come undone you still have her long enough to re clip her up.
other than that a saddlers sell leads that are buckled to the collar but i think its on lunge lines unless you can get a normal size lead (leather) and have one put on.
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox
The only thing I can think of is ......go to a horse saddlery and buy a "lead rope"......they are make to walk a hores with, so they will be stronger than a normal lead.....and the clips are more sturdy, you can get rope or webbing or even leather ones, and there have a variety of clips. you will pay from a couple of pounds up.......and they are about 3ft long . I have found them to be better for large strong dogs, (you can get a better grip)

P.S sometimes those clips get a bit clogged up with dirt ,and they dont clip shut properly ,so give them a rinse under warm water know and again........
Busta has a horse lead and they do a good job strong as hell, cost less than his dog lead aswell.
I don't really like those type of clips hevvur as Busta can get off too somehow I prefer a panic clip, neither of my dogs have ever got free
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 10:48 AM
I've used a horse lead-rope before and I agree the clips are way stronger.

I am wondering though, why does she shake in the first place? Perhaps she is sore around her neck area or maybe an ear infection? Just maybe worth checking her over and resolve the problem that way?

What about a halti collar instead? Perhaps she shakes because of the ordinary collar on, maybe allergic reaction??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >