Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Grocer
New Member!
Male 

11-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Fear of violence?

Fear of violence?

I wonder if any members have had this experience with their dog?

On a trip today to KALAVRITA a mountain village in the Peloponnese, Greece which during WWII suffered horrendous atrocities from the occupying German forces (Google it and see) our dog totally refused to walk down two streets that are either side of the school (now museum) where some of these horrific incidents took place. Her tail went between her legs, she shook uncontrollably and refused to proceed on the lead pulling me in reverse.

On the other streets away from this venue she was fine.....as indeed she was when we visited the monument and burial grounds where villagers were shot by German forces.

If any actions convince me dogs sense evil....this is it!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Interesting and I am sure there was some reason for your dog's behaviour but, sorry, I cannot believe it is the reason you believe.

It's far more likely in my view that your dog was reacting to your stress, mood or tension if you had these things on your mind as you walked there.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Mmm interesting, I'm open to the opinion that they sense wear. I had an old fox hound rescue who was petrified of the smell of a butchers and used to shake uncontrollably, tail between legs and straining to get away if ever we stopped near one.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
Fear of violence?

I wonder if any members have had this experience with their dog?

On a trip today to KALAVRITA a mountain village in the Peloponnese, Greece which during WWII suffered horrendous atrocities from the occupying German forces (Google it and see) our dog totally refused to walk down two streets that are either side of the school (now museum) where some of these horrific incidents took place. Her tail went between her legs, she shook uncontrollably and refused to proceed on the lead pulling me in reverse.

On the other streets away from this venue she was fine.....as indeed she was when we visited the monument and burial grounds where villagers were shot by German forces.

If any actions convince me dogs sense evil....this is it!
Hi They have the inner eye,and can see things we cant,many years ago we also had this,but as we became civilised we didnt need it so much In Ireland they call it being Fey .You will be interested in the Link I am sending you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...un-Bridge.html

Love to hear your take on the above crystalgirl
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Interesting and I am sure there was some reason for your dog's behaviour but, sorry, I cannot believe it is the reason you believe.

It's far more likely in my view that your dog was reacting to your stress, mood or tension if you had these things on your mind as you walked there.
As Tangutica says our dogs pick up on every nuance of our behaviour and as you are clearly affected by past events your dog will be picking up on your mood and behaviour, each change of step and tightening of the lead will be noted.

I live near a church and graveyard and take my dog that way every night. The graveyard is full of bodies some of which have met a violent death. I don't really think about in neither does my dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...un-Bridge.html

Love to hear your take on the above crystalgirl
CG the world is full of people who are superstitious and stories like that one help to sell newspapers.

Dogs don't have the same kind of sight as humans, they see moving objects very well, a necessity for catching prey but their perception of space and distance is not particularly good and can get them into difficulties. We often hear of dogs falling off cliffs . We once had a member here who lost her dog this way. It is up to the owner to keep dogs safe in situations where they could fall.

I would say looking at the article you posted something about the view attracts dogs, maybe an optical illusion or foreshortening of distance.
Neither do dogs have the awareness of self to contemplate suicide.
Clearly the dogs were not on a lead , had they been I am sure they would still be with us.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
We used to live in a building that was used as a hospital for injured soldiers returning from WW1 it was almost normal to see the 3 we had at the time seemingly interacting with people we couldn't see. Usually in the large bedroom where they had the amputees or the back kitchen where officers with shell shock were housed. We never saw anything but odd things moved around at times.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't believe in ghosts, nor in 'evil spirits' nor that places can be 'evil' or harbour fear or pain. I don't believe dogs can see things we can't see or that we used to be able to see them but lost the ability to do so.

I've never heard of the 'inner eye' that dogs are supposed to have.

I know people suffering with mental illness 'hear voices' and can hallucinate - perhaps some dogs suffer with the dog equivalent of those illnesses and can 'imagine' they see or hear things?

My dog doesn't much like going into other people's apartments here - but that's not because they are 'haunted' it's because she likes her own apartment very much and seems to want to get back to it and all her 'stuff' asap!

She also doesn't like travelling in my car but thats not because anyone was tortured to death in it or waddever. She just doesn't like travelling in the car with me driving. It could be my driving? She seems OK if someone else drives and I sit with her lol! (My son would go along with this theory and probably say he knows just how she feels!)
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I do think dogs 'see and feel' things that we don't
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
I do think dogs 'see and feel' things that we don't
I don't. I know they can smell and hear things we can't.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >