Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
I see where SarahJade is coming from with her comment. When I think about Flynn I always think it's a shame that he ended up with me as an owner in some ways because he could've been so much more and could be excellent at most disciplines. But then I look at it another way and acknowledge that he can be a difficult dog to handle purely because he's that enthusiastic he lets it get the better of him, and he could well have ended up being passed from pillar to post because other people may not have been able to put up with him.
So, although he may not have reached the heady heights of being a working gundog, he landed himself a forever home where he at least gets to fulfill some of what he loves doing.
Well you could argue that if he had landed with an excellent handler he would also have found a forever home as they may not have found him particularly difficult.

I am always reminded of something my Grandmother used to say:

"If ifs and ands were pots and pans, tinkers would ride on horses"
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2012, 02:49 PM
This is an interesting thread.

I left the training club I had joined with Molly when she was barely 6 months old because the trainer was giving me a hard time for 'letting her down'. I asked him to explain himself as Molly was excelling in her obedience. He told me I should be training more extensively with the view of competing her in the future. I have no desire whatsoever to compete (got the Tshirt for that many many moons ago) and I explained that she was at an acceptable standard for what I wanted from her (sociable, well-mannered and obedient to basic commands).

He was quite disgusted and basically suggested that I didn't deserve her.

Molly has a wonderful life, she goes everywhere and does everything with me. We train and play regularly and I ensure that she is stimulated with new challenges often.

I definitely haven't fulfilled Molly's potential in respect of competing...........but have I let her down for not doing so? I don't think so.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
This is an interesting thread.

I left the training club I had joined with Molly when she was barely 6 months old because the trainer was giving me a hard time for 'letting her down'. I asked him to explain himself as Molly was excelling in her obedience. He told me I should be training more extensively with the view of competing her in the future. I have no desire whatsoever to compete (got the Tshirt for that many many moons ago) and I explained that she was at an acceptable standard for what I wanted from her (sociable, well-mannered and obedient to basic commands).

He was quite disgusted and basically suggested that I didn't deserve her.

Molly has a wonderful life, she goes everywhere and does everything with me. We train and play regularly and I ensure that she is stimulated with new challenges often.

I definitely haven't fulfilled Molly's potential in respect of competing...........but have I let her down for not doing so? I don't think so.

See I can never understand attitudes like that of your trainer (although perhaps I can it was dog envy and frustration from her part).

What people want to do with their dogs is entirely up to them.

If they want to compete or not and what discipline if any they want to compete in.

So no, you have not "let her down", unless of course SHE had expectations of you?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If winning does not matter, why do you enter?

If you want to have fun, surely you can do that at home, and not pay the entrance fee, travelling costs etc?

I hope I am ALWAYS better than my dogs, if I was not, they would not need me for guidance and direction would they?

Just because YOU may put pressure on your dogs to perform, does not of course mean that others do.

When you do win, do you collect your rosettes? Do you display them in your car or on your wall?

If you do then winning DOES matter doesn't it?
I do about 2 shows a year, I go because I like to support my friends and challange myself and Ben with different courses from different people in a different place
I dont put pressure on my dogs to perform, I never said everyone else does either - but I know plenty people who do, I see it all the time dogs who hate shows becuase of the pressure
I collect my rosies because if I dont they are carried from show to show until I do collect them - I do not wait for the presentations and get them then - I jsut go and pick them out of the box later
I display my trophies - not prominantly but not in a box, because I am proud of my boy
But winning / not winning dosent matter to me - if they gave trophies for the happiest dog in the ring I would display that in my sitting room
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
So no, you have not "let her down", unless of course SHE had expectations of you?
Got an image of Molly tutting at you, saying 'ohh I could have done so much better...'

As always smokeybear has a good point, what they never had they can't miss and I know that taking Cookie from my parents was in his best interest and that no matter how much any other handler may do with their dog in regards to training, that no-one could love their dog more than I do him, which is probably what makes me worry. I have definite SA, was pining like mad yesterday when he wasn't here.

Plus everyone always comments on how well trained he is and how happy and eager he is to do for me.

I suppose we can if and but all day and something about riding on horses was it SB??
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Two of my Wu's siblings are C only in obedience & one(his sister)is working her first"ticket"class on Sunday, his other sister, Daise, has been to a few obedience shows & is progressing nicely. Wu on the other hand has done one training round & that's it.

Could he has been as successful as his 2 C only siblings with another handler-very possibly, would he have developed his wonderful funny character & caring nature with them ? probably not.

Right from birth almost he & his sister, Daise, have been very close & were the thugs of the litter. always together & always upto no good. Even now he goes off into the garden with my youngest, Keewee or his full sister, Jesscee or Roodee(Cavalier)& creates havoc-do I care-nope. He is one of the most loving dogs I have ever had & when I am very down or ill, he's there with his silly face on silently barking at me & making feel better.

I don't think he would have coped with the pressure that very successful obedience dogs have placed on then in some handlers hands, he is such a gentle boy & hasn't got the drive for Obedience.

I've had high drive dogs that have done well in Obedience, but I have always lacked that win at all costs attitude needed to get to the very top, I have way too much love for my dogs to need them to win to satisfy my ego.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
But winning / not winning dosent matter to me - if they gave trophies for the happiest dog in the ring I would display that in my sitting room
I can understand both sides of this, I think that when owner/handlers have such a desire to win it can put pressure on, but when you enter for fun and a challenge for you both that when you do win it is like a big clap on the back saying "well done, your dog enjoys it so much and you are a great team".

I will admit that I have Cookies KCGC awards on the wall in the living room along with all the rosettes that I have left (since my mothers dog destroyed most) but my proudest ones are 'waggiest tail' and 'dog the judge would like to take home' because these are the ones that make me think that my Cookie is a wonderful dog and happy!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Well some of the most successful people in many spheres I know who win regularly (and like it) do not do so to the detriment of their dogs. And they do not love their dogs any less than those who lack the "win at any cost" mentality (whatever that means).

I find the way people write about the success of others very revealing............
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I have no doubt that an excellent and experienced handler can bring out the best in a mediocre dog. A great dog may not reach its full potential with a less competent handler.

As for the other posts, I never think my dogs would be better off with a different owner/handler I know I give my dogs a great life and even though I wish I were a better handler, I don't think my own dogs give two hoots whether we compete in various disciplines, work daily or whether we just go for long walks. If they are happy, I am happy
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:16 PM
SB I was talking about myself and what I want and do
In my first post i never mentioned other people at all and in my 2nd only to say some not all put pressure on

Personally in other things i am competative, i was mearly making the point that I am not in the sport i choose to do with my dog because i feel it would be to the detriment of my bond with my dog
It is no comment on other people in any way - just on what i do
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >