View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2009, 10:45 AM
No beaches here and we're nowhere near the Lake District, so we've only got the local country parks and river to walk which can get quite boring. I've dreamed of doing agility since I was a teenager and saw it on tv at Crufts!

I am going to start biking with him soon though so if we really aren't getting anywhere in the next couple of months and he enjoys the biking then that can be his thing.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
No beaches here and we're nowhere near the Lake District, so we've only got the local country parks and river to walk which can get quite boring. I've dreamed of doing agility since I was a teenager and saw it on tv at Crufts!

I am going to start biking with him soon though so if we really aren't getting anywhere in the next couple of months and he enjoys the biking then that can be his thing.
What about Cani-X? I'm thinking that it's a way for me to get fit too
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2009, 11:00 AM
No way, that's proper running! I don't do proper running.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 01:54 PM
No way, that's proper running! I don't do proper running.
Me neither. And anyway there`s far too much Lycra in the world. The solution is to get another dog. You can never have too many dogs.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I have one-to-one agility lessons with Rossi and just started sharing the lesson between the two of them before Enzo got ill, but he should be able to go back in a couple of weeks. I can only afford an hour every two weeks and the rest is practise on my own.

Rossi is a very laid back dog and it's so hard to get him motivated to go over the jumps. I even have trouble getting him to go to the start of the jumps and place him correctly, but sometimes he just stands there and looks at me or will wander around the course looking bored until I ask him to do a tunnel, the contact equipment or weaves. Once he's going he's great and seems to be really pleased with himself but it's getting him started that's the problem and even my very experienced trainer finds him frustrating!
He has been doing agility since he was a year old and did a bit of puppy agility before that and he's always been like this. I have been to classes but it takes so long for him to get started he just holds everybody else up!

I have tried using a target stick which he likes, but he got bored of that quickly, but it means I have to treat him before he's done any jumping.

I was chatting to my trainer at the end of the lesson and trying to work out ways of getting him motivated and he said it's just a matter of finding his 'on' button! He has suggested using different treats until I find one that he really gets excited about; using Enzo to make him a bit jealous and make him want to have a go (tried that), not giving him breakfast so he's hungry and will want to work for food. I'll try all of these before our next lesson!

I was using a fluffy pencil case with treats in for a while and he loves it but doesn't see why he should do anything to earn the treats inside. He hasn't seen it for ages so I'll introduce it again during our next practice session. I could spend a fortune buying toys but he's not really interested when there is food on offer - he just can't be bothered to work for it!

If I could get a squirrel or cat to go over the jumps before him then we might get somewhere because that's the only thing he gets really excited about!
laid back dogs can be hard work,

I have found asking for things in small steps helps, eg, rather than ask /aim for wow enthusiasm, just ask for a tiny wee bit more spark than before and build on it,

what I can say is, by the time you do find his on button, you will be very good at motivating dogs, you will have lots of tricks up your sleeve, some that have diff effects to the others, but if you keep going your will either find the on button, or you will slowly build on what you have to the point of what you need.
sometimes the button is not really there, you just build up over time and realise one day your there, rather than a total transformation if you know what I mean.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm assuming you have gone down the road of special toys?

Have you tried circuit training with the food?

If it was me and he likes targeting, I would get him targeting something on the floor.

Maybe place a mat on the floor with some food on top - then hold him back and use a vocal wind up...(ready steady....etc) then let him go (go go go) and race him to the food - when he gets there I would roll a couple more bits of food as a reward.

You could do the same with with a toy and playing tug or throwing. It does sound like he has learnt to be laid back.

I also agree with Shona - training sessions of a few mins mins max.
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Me neither. And anyway there`s far too much Lycra in the world. The solution is to get another dog. You can never have too many dogs.
I have noticed alot of people seem to have three or more on here! I could get another dog but I would have to get another job to fund it and I already have two. Having Enzo is like having two anyway, he's hard work and sending my blood pressure up year by year probably. I'm not getting a collie!!
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm assuming you have gone down the road of special toys?

Have you tried circuit training with the food?

If it was me and he likes targeting, I would get him targeting something on the floor.

Maybe place a mat on the floor with some food on top - then hold him back and use a vocal wind up...(ready steady....etc) then let him go (go go go) and race him to the food - when he gets there I would roll a couple more bits of food as a reward.

You could do the same with with a toy and playing tug or throwing. It does sound like he has learnt to be laid back.

I also agree with Shona - training sessions of a few mins mins max.
He's always been laid back, that's what I wanted because Enzo is highly strung so I wanted the opposite. I didn't think what effect it would have on agility, though.

He is not interested in toys. I have bought him special toys that he only got at agility but he loses interest quickly, he would rather have food.

We use a target lid for the contact equipment which is probably why he is so keen on those but it would be difficult for jumps unless they were in a straight line which they aren't always and he always tries to cheat and go straight for the lid. I have an 'alley oop' which I did use for one jump drills and he enjoyed that, but it's easy for one jump. If I could get him to do a whole course with the alley oop at the end that would be an achievement!

What do you mean by circuit training with food?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 03:25 PM
From what your sayying its not a problem motivating him so much as keeping the motivation going?

Circuit training is quite involved (the idea came from Joanna Hill as far as I am aware- she is great at motivating)...but I tend to always throw food rewards that I use...get the dog moving to get the food rather than it just being a static thing.

Re....the targetting....if you can get him going quick over a lkine of 2-3-4 for the lid thanm maybe work form there and add a turn in at the beginning (without a jump to start with)then have the jumps on a diagonal etc.

If you got him going well over one fence how did it fall down when you started adding more?
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2009, 03:38 PM
From what your sayying its not a problem motivating him so much as keeping the motivation going?
Yes, he'll do some jumps at the beginning of the lesson and we'll go off and do other things so he doesn't get bored, but if we come back to jumps later, sometimes, like yesterday, I can't even get him to do one.

Re....the targetting....if you can get him going quick over a lkine of 2-3-4 for the lid thanm maybe work form there and add a turn in at the beginning (without a jump to start with)then have the jumps on a diagonal etc.
Definitely worth a try, thanks.

If you got him going well over one fence how did it fall down when you started adding more?
Sometimes he's happy to do several and sometimes he won't even do one, particularly if we've done other things and come back to do a different set of jumps. He's quite happy to do the long jump!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >