View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fatcat
New Member!

02-03-2005, 03:58 PM

Feeding raw / BARF - pros and cons

I have joined up purely because I could not believe what I read when I chanced upon this web site. The abuse of animals by dog food manufacturers. It was sickening. Please all of you feed raw. Get yourself a good book or two, such as The Barf Diet, by Dr Ian Billinghurst, and stick to it. It really is not much more work than opening a packet or a can, and your animals will be happier, healthier, and you will be richer, and happier with the knowledge that you are doing right by your dog or dogs. I am bringing up a female pup who is nine months old on the Barf Diet, and also a two year old male. Both are GSD's. Pup never goes to the vet, and looks the picture of health. She is bright, alert, very, very sweet, and absolutely gorgeous. Ditto for my boy, except he is no so clever. Don't have a hissy fit about feeding raw chicken wings. Shut your eyes, give it a month and you'll be fine. Honest. The dogs love it too. Grain is not a natural food for dogs.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 04:07 PM
many people on here already feed naturally, check out the CHC site for more info about feeding and about over vaccinating !!

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 04:12 PM
yeh lots of people on here feed raw myself included. I keep meaning to buy billinghursts book, just havent got round to getting some money together for it
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-03-2005, 04:13 PM
No thank you very much. You can't even trust the meat meant for humans let alone for animals.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
you must trust something...other wise your dogs would be eating air?!??

Jenny, try to get the 'barf' diet one. it is shot and to the point. it scares me a little that people are feeding without knowing 'everything'. there is alot to know. some of my friends just say 'tell me what to do, and i will do it' i say no. the way forward is to learn evrything, and then take what you want from it. its easy once your in it, but what if your jsut listening to advice, and miss something. it scares me.
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm a BARFER
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
can anyone tel me which billinghurst book is best? i have read alot about the barf diet on the net and feel comfortable feeding, but a book to read wont hurt

as u can see there is 3, im assuming the first one? which is the most recently printed

Give Your Dog a Bone: The Practical Commonsense Way to Feed Dogs ~Ian Billinghurst

Grow Your Pups with Bones: BARF Programme for Breeding Healthy Dogs and Eliminating Skeletal Disease

The Barf Diet: For Cats and Dogs ~Ian Billinghurst
CBT
Dogsey Senior

02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
my dogs BARF several times a week but because I have quite a few It works out cheapest to feed them a complete working dog food, its quite a good one though and they do well on it, I dont think it has too many additives etc in it. Barf is a good idea if you only have a couple of dogs and can source some good quality meat.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 04:29 PM
jenny the barf diet is the newest and as i said short and to the point. its £20 and has everything you should know in it. it a good investment.
fatcat
New Member!

02-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi Jenny,
Try the BARF Diet by Dr Ian Billinghurst first. It is only a slim book, but packs a lot of information into it. Then go onto the others.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »