Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2021, 09:45 PM

toilet training issues

Help! Herman my sprocker spaniel is 7 & a half months old, I brought him home when he was 2 months old, straight away he took to the puppy training pads that I put down for him (he did not go outside till he was fully vaccinated) & did all his wees & poos on them - he was such a good boy, gradually he began to do his business outside on walks (both on the way to our destination whilst on the lead & once at our destination off the lead), BUT I was never able to remove the training pads as he absolutely refuses to wee outside when I take him outside specifically for the purpose of weeing, whilst that has been frustrating for some time it is his recent behaviour (only started about a week ago) that is doing my head in - he is now doing wees all over the place - anywhere he likes - hard floor (lino), carpet, bath mat, my bed - even though the training pads are still on the floor (he does still use them sometimes but more often than not he doesn't), I simply don't understand it - he's regressing. Could this be stopped if I get him castrated? It was always my intention to get him done anyway, I know 6 months is the minimum age but the vet recommended 12 months.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2021, 09:49 PM
Is he cocking his leg to wee? If not, then castration is not likely to make much difference.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2022, 05:39 PM
No he does not cock his leg.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2022, 09:08 PM
First of all a vet check to rule out UTI

If all comes back clear, then go back to toilet training as if you first got him. Sometimes they do take a step backwards, but my first thought was urinary infection