Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Agility

What's the best age to introduce a dog to agility?

Although my Nushka is too young at the moment I'd love some info for the future. When I'm playing with her (or her with my other dogs) her turns are fantastic, she could spin on a sixpence, as well as being very fast for a pup Her breeder and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce her to agility once she's old enough

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:39 PM
If she is any of the dogs mentioned at the top right of your thread I would certainly wait until she is 18 months old - just work on teaching her directions and obedience and general focus for now
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
If she is any of the dogs mentioned at the top right of your thread I would certainly wait until she is 18 months old - just work on teaching her directions and obedience and general focus for now
She's a Northern Inuit

I am trying to encourage her directions and she's doing quite well, but she's a puppy and you know what they're like Once a leaf floats past, she's off after it
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I do agility with our northern inuits. They love it and are great at it.

Is there an agility club you could maybe take her to watch now and again. I find this really helps with the exitement of it all if they grow up thinking it is normal.

Also maybe get a tunnel in the garden and teaching her to walk along planks on the floor or between jump wings etc will do not harm at all.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I do agility with our northern inuits. They love it and are great at it.

Is there an agility club you could maybe take her to watch now and again. I find this really helps with the exitement of it all if they grow up thinking it is normal.

Also maybe get a tunnel in the garden and teaching her to walk along planks on the floor or between jump wings etc will do not harm at all.
Thanks for that Jane, I forgot you do agility with your two

I'll have a look for some agility class in my area so she can have the experience without taking part
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-08-2008, 06:29 AM
For larger breeds such as an Inuit you shouldn't start agility until they are at least a year old, and even then the jumps should be low, until about 18months (at least). In the mean time you can do a lot of preparation work, such as basic obedience work, such as recalls to both sides, waits etc.

Here is a link to hopefully help in finding a club:

http://www.agilitynet.co.uk/activepages/clubs.asp

Where abouts in the country are you, as someone might know of a suitable club!