Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 11:21 PM

2 questions regards Obedience

1. What is the best way to find out about Obedience classes at open shows etc.?

2. Is the below the correct exercises for the UK?

Just wanting to know as I want to start competing with Kodi soon
Thanks

Pre Beginners

The exercises are Heel On Lead, Heel Free, Recall, Sit stay (1 minute in sight) and Down Stay (2 minutes in sight)

Beginners

The exercises are as Pre Beginners with the addition of a Retrieve (handlers own article).

Novice

The exercises are as Beginners other than the retrieve is with a dumb-bell.

In the above 3 classes the handler may encourage the dog with voice and extra commands will not be penalised, other than in stays where last command means just that. However, handling the dog, toys and treats are not acceptable for competition and will be penalised.

Class A

Heel on Lead, Heel Free and Retrieve are as Novice.
The recall is to the heel position while the handler is walking away from the dog.
This is the first class you will encounter scent. Handlers scent on a cloth placed among 5 other cloths in a straight line, there are no decoys.
Sit Stay (2 minutes in sight) Down Stay (5 minutes out of sight).

In this class you are allowed simultaneous command and signal along with the dogs name. Extra commands and signals will be penalised.

Class B

Exercises are Heel Free, which includes normal, slow and fast pace. All changes of pace will be from the halt position.
Sendaway, Drop and Recall, Retrieve an article provided by the judge.
Scent is again handlers scent but this time there will be one decoy cloth. Total number of cloths must be a minimum of 6 up a maximum of 10 and they can be in any pattern.
Stand Stay (1 minute in sight) Sit Stay (2 minutes out of sight) Down Stay (5 minutes out of sight)

In this class you are allowed either word or signal as a command along with the dog's name, except on Sendaway when simultaneous command and signal is permitted when you send your dog. All extra commands and signals will be penalised.

Class C

The exercises are Heel Free at normal, slow and fast pace. While doing normal pace the dog will also be required to do positions i.e. Stand, Sit and Down in any order while the handler continues alone until directed to collect the dog back to heelwork.
Sendaway, Drop and Recall and Retrieve as in Class B. Distance Control.
Scent is judges scent with either one or two decoys in any pattern, again minimum of 6 maximum of 10 cloths in total.
Sit Stay (2 minutes out of sight) Down Stay (10 minutes out of sight)

Again extra commands and signals will be penalised as in Class B.

Championship Class C

Ch. C classes are only held at Championship shows. The exercises are as Class C.

To qualify to work in this class dogs must have won out of Novice, A and B. Have won one Open Class C and been placed not lower than third in class C on three occasions. All places and wins in Class C must be under different judges.
It is the winners of each Ch. C who can compete at Crufts. Unlike Breed dogs however Obedience Dogs must qualify each year by winning a ticket in that year.

Thanks again
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Anyone??

(message to short)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
ObedienceUK is a good place to start

BTW the non CC classes at CH Ob Shows are the same as at Open shows & you don't need to "qualify to enter"other than Ch C.

If you have never worked a dog in Obedience in the UK before then you have to enter your dog in the lowest class(ie Pre Beginners) & one other class, unless there is a Pre B special GC class, then you can enter just that class, the same goes for the YKC classes for handlers under 25 & the special Charity C classes

Well the exercises are almost right

Pre B's is right
Beginners is right
Novice has a temperament test
A only has Heel Free, recall to heel, retrieve a dumbell, 1 minute sit in sight, 3 minute down out of sight, commands are only allowed at the commencement of the heelwork(ie from the start)& from each halt position
B-again in heelwork commands are only allowed from the start & subsequent halt positions.
C & Ch C are correct
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Dyane

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
ObedienceUK is a good place to start

Have printed those pages in the link off already(did it last week)

BTW the non CC classes at CH Ob Shows are the same as at Open shows & you don't need to "qualify to enter"other than Ch C.

If you have never worked a dog in Obedience in the UK before then you have to enter your dog in the lowest class(ie Pre Beginners) & one other class, unless there is a Pre B special GC class, then you can enter just that class, the same goes for the YKC classes for handlers under 25 & the special Charity C classes

So at a show with these classes I would have to enter Pre-beginners and Beginners?

23: PRE-BEGINNERS
24: BEGINNERS
25: NOVICE
26: CLASS "A"

Well the exercises are almost right

Pre B's is right
Beginners is right
Novice has a temperament test
A only has Heel Free, recall to heel, retrieve a dumbell, 1 minute sit in sight, 3 minute down out of sight, commands are only allowed at the commencement of the heelwork(ie from the start)& from each halt position
B-again in heelwork commands are only allowed from the start & subsequent halt positions.
C & Ch C are correct
Thanks got what I posted from another site and did think it didnt seem right for A.

Does anyone know if the SKC Show Diary includes Obedience shows?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
So at a show with these classes I would have to enter Pre-beginners and Beginners?

23: PRE-BEGINNERS
24: BEGINNERS
25: NOVICE
26: CLASS "A"
Well you have to enter Pre B & you can enter one other class but normally people would enter Pre B & Beginners

Not sure about the SKC diary having the Obedience shows in, maybe contact them & ask. There are schedules on ObedienceUk, you can see the show details, but you need to be a member(about £4/£5)to download them.

It might be worth joining the Newbies E mail list on ObUk(there's a link on the site)as there are people on there who live in Scotland
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
The SKC show diary does include obedience shows
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Well you have to enter Pre B & you can enter one other class but normally people would enter Pre B & Beginners

Not sure about the SKC diary having the Obedience shows in, maybe contact them & ask. There are schedules on ObedienceUk, you can see the show details, but you need to be a member(about £4/£5)to download them.

It might be worth joining the Newbies E mail list on ObUk(there's a link on the site)as there are people on there who live in Scotland
Cool Thanks Dyane
Will need to check with my mum if I can sign up or not(only 17 so no cheque/card)

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
The SKC show diary does include obedience shows
Thanks Anne, Will send for one tomorrow
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
you could have asked me lol

we went through all this on monday night, x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by x_rose_x View Post
Cool Thanks Dyane
Will need to check with my mum ......................
It costs nothing to sign up to the Newbies E mail group & I know there are people in Scotland on the list

It would be worth you joining the YKC(if you haven't already, as the YKC classes are aimed at the least experienced handlers & dogs upwards more than the regular classes-I judged the classes at last year's Wakefield Ch Sh weekend & really enjoyed myself(mind you I also judged an A class the day before in an emergency !)& you can qualify for Crufts by winning a YKC class or getting five diplomas from them
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
It costs nothing to sign up to the Newbies E mail group & I know there are people in Scotland on the list
Will join the email group tomorrow

It would be worth you joining the YKC(if you haven't already, as the YKC classes are aimed at the least experienced handlers & dogs upwards more than the regular classes-I judged the classes at last year's Wakefield Ch Sh weekend & really enjoyed myself(mind you I also judged an A class the day before in an emergency !)& you can qualify for Crufts by winning a YKC class or getting five diplomas from them
Yup already planning on doing that, meant to do it ages ago(got the form at crufts last year) but will do it this week

Thanks for all your help Dyane

One more question what are the diplomas you are talking about?
Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >