Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:20 PM

Renting a property with a dog

Does anyone know of any good websites/places to find properties for rent which accept pets? I have one small very well behaved dog and am finding it a nightmare to get a property which will accept us both

Thanks in advance.
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Things I've done that have worked in the past include

* Offer to pay more deposit
* Have written "doggie" references from previous landlords and friends
* Have photos on hand
* Offer to have a clause written into the lease where you agree to make good any damage made by the dog
*Don't tell them about the dog until after you have seen the property, you've made a good impression and they are keen for you to take the place (then hit them with the "good" news )

However, once you have a place make sure that you being able to have your pet there is written into the lease.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Brilliant reply

Yes, when we were thinking of renting once the Letting Agent told us to do the above!

She said lots of landlords automatically put a no pets clause in, but most will be happy to have them as long as you pledge to put right any damage caused.

Another thing to say is that you won't mind having the house professionally steam cleaned before departure so they are assured there are not going to be any doggie odours lingering
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Gosh, i never thought of any of this. I moved into my new place a month ago and the landlady doesn't like dogs so i just accepted we couldn't get a pup. Good ideas!
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom View Post
Another thing to say is that you won't mind having the house professionally steam cleaned before departure so they are assured there are not going to be any doggie odours lingering
Quite right about the steam cleaning, I forgot that one. I tell them that I'll get the carpets professionally steam cleaned but in fact I bought a steam cleaner and do them myself (that way I can ensure a good job). The steam cleaner comes handy for a variety of doggie messes anyway and great for cleaning the freezer quickly.
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom View Post
She said lots of landlords automatically put a no pets clause in, but most will be happy to have them as long as you pledge to put right any damage caused.
Yes, I've never let the no pets thing stop me looking at a place as I've found most landlords will come around if you handle it right and offer them money .
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Gosh, i never thought of any of this. I moved into my new place a month ago and the landlady doesn't like dogs so i just accepted we couldn't get a pup. Good ideas!
Well if you put it too her armed with responses to all the negatives she could throw at you, she should run out of objections and you can get your puppy. Good luck
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 09:00 PM
If you are looking in rural areas, estate cottages are always a good bet.

Helen
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 11:49 PM
hiya, oh i guess i have all of this to come!

we was told that houses would always (mostly) accept dogs & cats but flats wont accept either.........

i did see a advert saying 'double deposit and will accept dog'

to be honest we want to rent for a long time so we werent going to actually say............ well we wont have the dog once moving in.......... they wont know! will they?! ahh i guess we will ask!

maybe give refs like that other post says (sorry nicking your ideas )
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
to be honest we want to rent for a long time so we werent going to actually say............ well we wont have the dog once moving in.......... they wont know! will they?!
Personally I'd strongly recommend that the landlord/agency knows and agrees to it in writing or else you may find yourself homeless or dogless It only takes one neighbour to complain about barking and things can get difficult.

Good luck with your searches both of you
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >