Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post

I find it interesting that so many of you have heard all this before and consider it hogwash, yet you continue to post here.
I would think you could work out the reason for that
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Anyone who has had an EMG [Electromyography] test knows how painful it can be, and they are warned beforehand about that fact.

I should imagine that giving a dog an unexpected shock is probably even more painful, especially as the nerves in the neck are far more sensitive than those in a human's arms or legs.

That is not "correction". It is punishment and utter cruelty.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Brierley, there's that "P" word again. I am not using the collar to stop a behavior, I am using it on the very rare occasions when I am absolutely certain the dog heard the command and fully understands the correct response to the previously taught command. I have already shown the dog how to be "right" (i.e., what the command words ask them to do), and that being right has some very pleasant consequences, and I start this as very young puppies. In other words, I am initially teaching them what they can do. At some point (and this timing depends upon the individual dog), I am going to show them that they must do what they have learned, regardless of the distraction level, and that failure to do so results in unpleasant consequences in the form of a correction of some sort; again, the "sort" is tailored to the individual dog. I am no longer teaching, I am now proofing learned responses. The dog has been given the key to control the training; he can choose to respond correctly and all is good, or he can choose to not respond correctly and all is not so good. In the case of extreme distraction (e.g., a live bird in the case of my high-drive retrievers), I would work up to that distraction level gradually, setting the dog up to be right at each level. I give the dog the opportunity to learn to control his reaction to the adrenalin surge that comes with excitement, and to learn that if he does as I ask, he will get the bird that much faster; I have seen some dogs do some amazing things once they understand that concept.

The collar comes into the picture only after conventional training, and is IME an invaluable tool when used properly. It is very rare that I would burn a dog, the nick button is there for a reason. That's all it is, a tool, in my opinion which has been formed over the past 37 years of (successfully) breeding, training and handling my dogs in three different disciplines, and 26 years in the private instructor business. I am constantly learning and refining my methods as I go. It took me 17 years of training and learning before I felt capable of using a collar.

I can't help but think some of the responders here are viewing the e-collar in terms of the way it was first used, when it indeed was an instrument of punishment and abuse. Some people still use them that way, by design or out of ignorance; I don't happen to be one of them, and never was. Things have changed since the dark ages. I am not trying to promote anything, I have actually advised many people against using the e-collar, and was responsible for convincing a big local retailer to discontinue their e-collar rental program. I have forfeited fees and walked out of clinics given by very well-known trainers, including Jim Dobbs (let me tell you, that was an eye-opener!), because their methods were clearly punishment-based.

I have seen self-proclaimed "reward-based/positive method" trainers who failed to practice what they preach, including one who inadvertently slammed a 4 month old rott's head into a metal gatepost when "teaching" the pup to heel. I have had owners bring me problem dogs which they trained with the local positive method trainers; the owners are angry (at the dog) and frustrated, and the dogs are a hot mess.

I signed onto this forum because you all seem to have the positive thing down. I hoped to gain some knowledge that shows how it should be done, and validates my feeling that what I have seen is positive training improperly done. I guess I am in the same camp as those of you who have seen/heard about poor e-collar training; the difference is, I can, and will if asked, recount the incidents I experienced, and I would never automatically assume that all of you are know-nothing idiot animal abusers, despite what I have seen with my own eyes.I can only infer, based on some of the responses to my posts, that many of the posters are unable/unwilling to extend that same courtesy to me. Their reasons remain obscure, as they do not seem willing to share their experiences with me.
The first bit in green - It is the "P" word - let's give it its name - Punishment. Or we could try P for Pain.

The second bit in green - You have used the collar in such a way that you have burned dogs? And you don't think that's abuse?

The third bit in green - It doesn't matter how much 'experience' you have in using the e-collar - it doesn't make iits use any kinder to the dogs.

You have previously admitted that you have not measured, or carried out any study on, the psychological or physiological effects of your e-collars on the dogs, yet you continue to use them regardless of the negative effects on the dogs, despite your experience.

The study I quoted earlier in the thread found that:

"We concluded that shocks received during training are not only unpleasant but also painful and frightening. Furthermore, we found that shocked dogs are more stressful on the training grounds than controls, but also in a park. This implies, that whenever the handler is around, the dog seems to expect an aversive event to occur. A second unwanted association might be that the dogs have learned to associate a specific command with getting a shock. Apart from the acute pain and fear, these expectations may influence the dog’s well being in the long term in a negative way"

Is this really acceptable when training a dog?

No twisting going on Lucky star, just a difference of opinion re:what constitutes abuse.

Did you read my response to the post you quoted? See post #61.

I find it interesting that so many of you have heard all this before and consider it hogwash, yet you continue to post here.
Few here enjoy discussing e-collars because they are a cruel and abusive way to train a dog and most believe, a completely unnecessary 'method' anyway. We are, after all, dog lovers. However, many feel compelled to respond to counter the claims of e-collar users and demonstrate how cruel it is to shock a dog.

Unfortunately it does give proponents of these collars an opportunity to continue discussing them, which is what they - you want.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Anyone who has had an EMG [Electromyography] test knows how painful it can be, and they are warned beforehand about that fact.

I should imagine that giving a dog an unexpected shock is probably even more painful, especially as the nerves in the neck are far more sensitive than those in a human's arms or legs.

That is not "correction". It is punishment and utter cruelty.
Hey Malta

I think it's really not worth it, to get upset about her any longer
and absolutely senseless as well

look at her, it seems, she just logged in here, for to try and only to hammer her own opinion in otherones mind on here
how many? 47 posts now? but all only about herself and that she's the only right
no nice post in any other threats
not once an introduction for to say Hello to everyone

that person is just so selfish
what can you still expect of such kind of person?

maybe it's just fine, to keep her busy here, for to entertain youself and in that time she's busy here, at least she wont torture her dog with her e-collar
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I am not upset Alexandra - I am angry because I detest cruelty.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am not upset Alexandra - I am angry because I detest cruelty.
I know I understand

but some things you just cannot change

and those people you will always find and everywhere around the world

even here in Germany, though those cruel e-collars are no longer allowed here anymore

and cruelty of animals will never stop
not by law and not by power to convince
as long as there are people out there, whose mind is not able to change for to understand
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Where I live I would be breaking the law if I used an e-collar, I wish the rest of the UK would catch up [and the rest of the world.]
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
Where I live I would be breaking the law if I used an e-collar, I wish the rest of the UK would catch up [and the rest of the world.]

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Firstlight... you admit the e.collar causes pain, you admit you have burnt dogs with it, you boast you breed for a high prey drive, yet you need to use an e.collar to contain that drive................. enough said !!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Re: the last paragraph: LOL Azz, that's exactly what I have repeatedly asked for from many of the posters, real life examples of collar use that they have witnessed! Have you not noticed my plea, and the stated reason for it? Pot, meet kettle.

See post #79 which deals with some of your questions.
Hi Susan

I have read post #79, and IMO it is still not a valid case to use pain in the name of training.

Your post boils down to this for me; You teach a dog a command 'nicely', and a few times. Then your frame of mind changes drastically, where you think, right, I have taught you with some kindness and I expect you to know it by now, so if you disobey me I WILL hurt you.

Perhaps you are not familiar with mental abuse - but that is exactly what you are doing.

Anyone who willingly inflicts pain and suffering on an animal is not only not a dog lover, but actually a dog abuser. In my country it is illegal to abuse dogs with electric shock collars - I just hope other countries catch up soon.

If you really do love dogs, I hope you will start to put the time and effort in to train dogs with love and kindness, and not take the quick fix by mentally and physically abusing them with electric shocks.
Page 12 of 36 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »