View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I use Baileys Economy mix..LOL..yes...horse feed..

I have a "pet" Robin that comes to get fed every morning..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Thanks for your posts everyone xx

Annestaff , really glad you presisted and the birds have come , love the pics too xxxx

Helen54, what do you think of dried insects for the birds? I have bought that version of Dawn Chorus seed mix in the past but am not sure how good it is? Albeit dried mealworms are disgusting but I couldn't imagine putting live ones out.......

ref fat balls I never knew that ref the youngsters, I know that they say that about peanuts , (which the birds round here aren't that bothered about, for some reasons, I guess they aren't as good as the other things on offer). Ref Niger, we have never had a prob but we do have alot of GFs and they get through the seed pretty quickly, though I have noticed that sometimes they choose the SFHs over the Niger......
Well, it wasn't until I'd used the real mealworms that they were at all interested in those dried ones! I even tried soaking them overnight but still they ignored them, but when that's all that was on offer they soon tucked in! The robins ADORE the mealworms, and they don't seem very interested in much else apart from bossing the others about! The blue tits will just come and grab one sunflower heart and quickly dive into the hedge coz that's their way of doing it! It's the bluetits that love the fat, and tbh, I don't take much notice of that "don't put fat out at this time of year" coz I think they're clever enough to know not to take it off to their young, unless of course, there's nothing much else around. You can get bags of Greek currants (well cheap!) from Sainsbury's and they last ages and will be devoured in minutes! I tend the shoe away the pesky collared doves coz they cause disease, and also the starlings coz they eat everything in sight and leave nothing for the others!

Those mealworms are fine, although expensive but I only do it at this time of year for them. They come in newspaper all wrapped up niceley and I just transfer them all to a big plastic box which I keep in the fridge and they will last ages and they WILL NEVER TURN INTO ANYTHING so don't worry! Lol! You give them wheatabix and bits of naff fruit and potato peelings and watch the big, heaving mass as they all start eating, it's great!!! You have to keep them alive you see by feeding them, especially wet food so they get a drink too! You have to have the birds first before you go to the expense of buying the mealworms otherwise they won't know they're there of course, but it's well worth the experience with them! I had robins eating out of my hand last year when they got used to them!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I use different things. I have Bill Oddies sunflower seeds in feeders at the moment and the brids like it...but its not their fav...also have one of his variety bags in a different feeder...think they quite like that. I put out fat balls in the winter..they love them.

We have a resident robin who is a bit of a noise nuisance at the moment...we have dunnocks nesting in a shrub, blue tits in the nest box (there every year) and blackbirds in the clematis,magpies (boooooo) in the neighbours conifer and I assume Mr Robins Mrs is somewhere nearby. Also have sparrows nesting in a next door but ones roof (oops) wood pigeons and collared doves nesting somewhere close. We are also visited by chaffinches/greenfinches/goldfinches...long tailed tits, great tits, a woodpecker makes the odd appearnance as do herons. Starlings will also flock in.Seagulls will also visit on occassion.There is also a sparrow hawk, which isn't surprising given the number of birds we have locally....

Gosh, when I write it down...we are very lucky to see so many different birds visiting so regularly.

The wood pigeons/collared doves/magpies will all try to feed from the small bird feeders.... The sparrow hark does to but in a different sort of way.

One of the neighbours puts out something specific for one of the finches?? Is it teasel heads??
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Helen, thanks so much for the info. I love having the birds in the garden, I really do but I don't think I am ready to feed them the live meal worms , especially if I have to feed them etc, bit yuck for me.

Ref the Doves and Starlings, I let them come down (have no choice anyhow, we have both nesting in the garden, Dove in tree and Straling in a bit of the roof) xxxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I use different things. I have Bill Oddies sunflower seeds in feeders at the moment and the brids like it...but its not their fav...also have one of his variety bags in a different feeder...think they quite like that. I put out fat balls in the winter..they love them.

We have a resident robin who is a bit of a noise nuisance at the moment...we have dunnocks nesting in a shrub, blue tits in the nest box (there every year) and blackbirds in the clematis,magpies (boooooo) in the neighbours conifer and I assume Mr Robins Mrs is somewhere nearby. Also have sparrows nesting in a next door but ones roof (oops) wood pigeons and collared doves nesting somewhere close. We are also visited by chaffinches/greenfinches/goldfinches...long tailed tits, great tits, a woodpecker makes the odd appearnance as do herons. Starlings will also flock in.Seagulls will also visit on occassion.There is also a sparrow hawk, which isn't surprising given the number of birds we have locally....

Gosh, when I write it down...we are very lucky to see so many different birds visiting so regularly.

The wood pigeons/collared doves/magpies will all try to feed from the small bird feeders.... The sparrow hark does to but in a different sort of way.

One of the neighbours puts out something specific for one of the finches?? Is it teasel heads??

Wow, sounds like you get loads , you lucky woman xxxx I just adore long tailed tits, the neighbour to the back gets them but they never venture to our garden

Ref the Finch seed and your neighbour, it is probably Niger seed. I bought a cheap feeder £5 from PAH and I buy the Niger loose from Joleyes, and they love it xxx

Not the best pic but gives you an idea
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:35 PM
It could be...is it expensive? She said it was expensive??? I shall ask her on Tuesday when I see her !!! Lovely pic.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, I think it costs a bit more than the average seed, but it only costs me about £1 to fill the feeder. They prob think I am nuts (pet shop) when I go and measure a small amount out to be weighed, it is easier for me storage wise to get just enough for the feeder xxxx

ps thanks ref pic, they are such pretty birds xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
They are beautiful birds.
I love watching the birds when I do the washing up!
We are lucky to have so many but we are near a few parks and a few bits of woodland so I think that's why we get so many.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
They are beautiful birds.
I love watching the birds when I do the washing up!
We are lucky to have so many but we are near a few parks and a few bits of woodland so I think that's why we get so many.
Yes, I know how you feel ref being lucky, when it comes to seeing all the lovely birds. I also feel quite good knowing that by feeding them, I am helping them out. It is great to read that they are important to so many other people too xxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, I have just been a short drive away, there is a man there who sells various seeds etc. I have bought half a carrier of sunflower hearts for £3.20, a packet of suet to go delight, 550g, £1.50 (always wanted to try suet but have never been sure) and a small bag of peanut nibs for 70p. I think his prices are competitive (even though there is no weight on the sunflower hearts etc, so it is a guess how much you are getting)

Anyhow comments welcome and I will let you know ref the suet, I have put it in a peanut feeder.

He also had amongst other things, a seed coated in syprup, looked good but I thought I would ask on here.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >