Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Becca&Boz
New Member!
Female 

28-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Why does my dog have such awful wind?

It's been going on for a while now and i just asumed it was normal but i'm not sure anymore (that's how rank it smells!) My dog who is 1 next month seems to be constantly farting and when he does oh god you need to cover you face! WE even have to keep a can of apray in the room cos it stinks! He is on Bakers puppy chicken at the mo but we're about to swap to adult as he's neary 1! Could it be the puppy food perhaps? Help me i'm being gassed out!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 05:38 PM
HI!!
Lovely...dog wind!
I would say it probably is the food, but I'm not a vet so if it's a massive probelm get him checked out.
Bakers is full of additives, there areother dry foods out there that will probably help to remove his wind, that are less full of additives(or don't have any).
When you swap him, why not check out a few other foods? Burns/Arden Grange/James Wellbeloved are all good. You can get free samples to test if your dog likes them too.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 05:38 PM
LOL, I had this issue with our SBT Dougal, found that Wagg Complete helps, it has stuff in it to....well, cut down on the amount of wind coming out. But even then sometimes he can gas you out. Must be a man thing cause my OH farts almost as much as Dougal....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Bakers! Full of additives and colourings.

Try a slow changeover to a different, good quality kibble.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I'd say it's the food as well. Go for a premium additive free kibble if you want to feed dry.
Becky
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-03-2008, 07:05 PM
You've just described Benson in his first few months in our house. We too had a can of air freshener on hand...it was awful!

However, since changing his diet to JWB kibble in the mornings and a bowl of raw tripe at night, he hardly ever farts. In fact, I can't remember the last time he did.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
You've just described Benson in his first few months in our house. We too had a can of air freshener on hand...it was awful!

However, since changing his diet to JWB kibble in the mornings and a bowl of raw tripe at night, he hardly ever farts. In fact, I can't remember the last time he did.
Oh good grief, tripe, sorry, but it reeks! My mother decided one time just after Dad got laid off that tripe would be a good cheap meal for us...after my wee brother and I were boking all over the place she came to the conclusion that this was not such a good idea and fed it to our GSD who was promptly sick...end of tripe experiment
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Oh good grief, tripe, sorry, but it reeks! My mother decided one time just after Dad got laid off that tripe would be a good cheap meal for us...after my wee brother and I were boking all over the place she came to the conclusion that this was not such a good idea and fed it to our GSD who was promptly sick...end of tripe experiment

I agree with everybody else about the food. Sam used to have dreadful wind on any kind of dry food he was fed. Now he is on soft food and home cooked he is fine. Just like some things give us wind eg onions, broccoli it all depends on the individual digestive system. Experiment with different kinds of food, but slowly. Also his digestion may get better as he matures.
Becca&Boz
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the help everyone I went to pets at home today and bought Boz some new adult food. I was going to get him James well beloved as my vet recommended it for my cat when i had one. I like the fact it has no crap in it. However i bought wainwrights turkey and rice after closely comparing the two's nutritionl info and ingredients etc it seemed they were practically identical (well by what the packets say about the food anyway). I started him off by mixing it in with some of his puppy food and at first he spat it out and seemed disgusted lol but i've put some in his kong and he's scoffed it down so i think it's something he's getting used to. It looks like green kidney beans :S but hey it doesn't have crap in it! and it was a quid cheaper then James Well Beloved yay haha
Becca&Boz
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Oh and i've also been on the James Well Beloved website and order some samples like i did for my kitty cat
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >