View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I am in favour of the ban too - and I smoke!

I did give up when I found out I was pregnant with Charlie, and remained smoke free for over 2 years, and that's the best I've ever done - how sad am I?

If I can just throw a spanner in here, I agree that it is unpleasant to be in a smokey atmosphere when you don't smoke. BUT - When I take my young daughter out to the cinema or bowling or even shopping in town, I am both intimidated and a little frightened for the safety of my child, when confronted by people that have had alot to drink, so as a non drinker, how about a ban on alcohol consumed in public places too!!!!!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Definitely in favour of a total ban.

Surely we have a right to breathe clean air and to leave our houses and not be subjected against our will to what is a deadly concoction of carcinogens. I try not to do things that might cause harm or offence to others when I go out so I don't see why the same shouldn't apply the other way around.

Many of my friends smoke and since I have become pregnant I have avoided going out with them as I want to protect my unborn child from the passive smoking , but as a result, I don't get much of a social life.

I don't know what the answer is for those that do smoke and where they might be able to but all I know is that I believe the right to breathe clean air should come before the right to smoke in public because it has an adverse effect on the health of others.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm not a smoker but my partner is and I hate it, I am also in favour of a ban but agree that it would be impossible to implement in outdoor public places, the worst place is in places like cafes and resurants when your eatin and someone lights up near you especially if you have your kids with you I think its so inconsiderate not even my partner likes the smell of cigs when theres food around.
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2006, 04:19 PM
i'm for it, but most people dont really care, the other day ste took me out for a meal and we was sat in non smoking and this woman came walzing in and sat there smoking i couldnt believe and someone said something to her and she just carried on, but i also agree willow if its outside you cant really do anything about it
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 04:43 PM
looks like i am the only smoker brave enough to post here ....oh well its me and my shed anyway the only peeps i annoy is the spiders in there
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Im 100% for it too!

I've only smoked a few times when i was much younger and hated it so never kept it up. Plus i wouldn't have been able to afford it I grew up passive smoking as my dad used to (and still does) smoke about 40 a day!

I know theres the argument of peoples freedom to do what they want but i dont agree with that when it affects others. I used to work in a pub and club and both of them people used to sit at the bar smoking. They'd be very polite to their friends and not blow the smoke at them, so instead blew it over the bar, choking us poor people working Hopefully a ban will reduce the number of people taking up smoking. I heard that it has worked in California (dont know to what extent!) but anything that stops people smoking in public has got to be a good thing!!

No offense to any smokers on here, im sure you're all very considerate! lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 04:52 PM
my spiders don't like it ...but hey get out of my shed I say ...
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
looks like i am the only smoker brave enough to post here ....oh well its me and my shed anyway the only peeps i annoy is the spiders in there
Nope, I am a smoker as well ..STAND UP FOR THE RIGHTS OF THE SMOKERS

LOL Seriously, I am happy to be shoved into a smokers room, away from the none smokers, have never had a problem with it and I NEVER smoke in other peoples houses unless they are smokers OR (as with my sister) they are fine with me smoking. Don't want a total ban though

Some figures for you all (and this, whilst TRUE, is only light hearted so don't all go moral on me )

Smoking is good news for the Treasury, with about £4 of the cost of a £5 packet of cigarettes taken in taxes.

Excluding VAT, this earned the Treasury more than £8bn in 2003-4

Treating diseases caused by smoking is costly however. The campaign group says the NHS spends £1.5bn a year, including hospital admissions, GP consultations and prescriptions

8bn - 1.5bn = 6.5bn in revenue - it's no wonder they won't ban tobacco...

LOL
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mel
Nope, I am a smoker as well ..STAND UP FOR THE RIGHTS OF THE SMOKERS

LOL Seriously, I am happy to be shoved into a smokers room, away from the none smokers,

Oooh, thats another thing that annoys me, though it is not the smokers fault at all!!

But has anyone else noticed that most of the time in restaurants the smoking section is like, the other side of the room or something?! The smell does drift, do they not realise?!!! In one restaurant i went in we were put one side of a 4 or 5ft screen, and on the other there was the smoking section... What is the point of that?!

If the ban doesn't go through and restaurants are still allowed smoking sections i think they should HAVE to have a completely seperate smoking area in another room with DOORS and preferably corridors between the smoking and non-smoking I just hate the smell of smoke so much - the food ends up tasting like it, then it ruins your meal

*rant over now, sorry... lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 05:12 PM
dose that mean I am not allowed out my shed if the wind is blowing .....it gets cold out there you see
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »