View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Just imagine for a moment that something - trivial or not - was wrong with her dog that she had not yet discovered. wouldn't she be glad if said vet alerted her to it?
Sounds like a very blinkered person to me.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
That would definitely make me ensure I didn't buy a puppy (if I was into that breed) sired by that dog, makes me very uneasy. I would say she didn't want to be alerted, which leads me to think that maybe there was something she didn't want to become open knowledge.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Sounds odd. Maybe she does not trust the people who'd be checking her dog. As they say, part of being a good citizen is letting people check the dog over without any issues at all. Weird...
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Sounds odd. Maybe she does not trust the people who'd be checking her dog. As they say, part of being a good citizen is letting people check the dog over without any issues at all. Weird...
maybe two sides to this. I remember vetting in at cat shows and there were vets AND VETS. The latter saw what was not there and were aggressive and barred cats when there was nothing wrong a proper tests would later show AFTER the cat had been banned from that show.

could ruin a reputation.

the show world is not the real world and there are vested interests at work. competitive can mean bad things.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
I agree, it suggests that you are not confident that your dog (or the breed as a whole) would pass. However,these vet checks are proving contentious at the moment, when you get cases like the top winning St. Bernard which failed a single vet check (on eyeball size), but has passed all the other checks in its show career. The handler accepted the decision with good grace, but it does show that there is a need for consistency, rather than a personal view.
exactly so. wise words.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Glad to see others think this is a little off, thought that was a bit of a strange reason when your dog is being checked by many different judges in the ring
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2014, 10:20 PM
If she knew there would be a likelihood of her dog being vet checked why did she enter if she didn't want that to happen.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
maybe two sides to this. I remember vetting in at cat shows and there were vets AND VETS. The latter saw what was not there and were aggressive and barred cats when there was nothing wrong a proper tests would later show AFTER the cat had been banned from that show.

could ruin a reputation.

the show world is not the real world and there are vested interests at work. competitive can mean bad things.
Yes, I think maybe she doesn't think the vets will be impartial or fair. That was the first thing that entered my mind when I read it. That is the only valid concern she might have. Paid off or biased "vets" checking and finding things that aren't there etc.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Yes, I think maybe she doesn't think the vets will be impartial or fair. That was the first thing that entered my mind when I read it. That is the only valid concern she might have. Paid off or biased "vets" checking and finding things that aren't there etc.
Exactly so and she is in a no win situation really. and clearly is a lady of strong views and who sticks to her moral code. Good for her.

And you all missed the punchline.. "and everyone cheered". bravo, lady, bravo!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 08:26 AM
OR... maybe her dog does have an issue and she tries to cover it up. Clumber spaniels are not the most healthy of pedigree dogs!

We don't know, but the fact is, if you refuse to let a vet check your dog in a show, it looks like you've got something to hide.
I know the breeding world isn't the most honest world and I'm sure there are biased vets around, but when health comes first (and it SHOULD!) vet checks are essential and well I would rather a vet found something that later turns out not to be true than sire loads of puppies with a dog or have puppies from a bitch that possibly have something they could pass down to all those puppies.
If the glory of winning a championship with her dog comes before health, in my opinion, she shows no respect for her dog and other people's dogs and shouldn't be breeding in the first place.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >