Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
I remember! I think I may owe you an owl hat too!

What I meant is that many here because of the recent scandals with big charities have stopped giving at all, and I am careful now never to ask for money but to sell a fine work at a fair price
Amazing work you do Rosebud Prefer to give that way myself
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I frankly don't have a lot of money to just give away. We have a LOT less money now in our household. I no longer have a job and have not been able to find one in ages.

My father is retired, disabled (has had a stroke, and has kidney and heart failure) and does not make nearly as much as he did when he worked and my mother is partially disabled (nasty lumbar arthritis) and only works part time now.

We do not get government money, so we have to make do with what we are able to earn. We make it just fine, but there is little extra. I give to red cross and salvation army etc. when I can.

If I had extra money, I can't say I'd fork it over to all these charities. I would likely use the money to help people directly so that I KNOW I'd be helping someone.

Things like passing out food and blankets to the homeless living downtown, giving food to local shelter dogs. Tangible stuff because these charities are so hard to trust these days.

Because I don't have money to give, I take Nigredo to the old people homes and we volunteer our time to make a few elderly people happy by bringing my friendly buddy up there for everyone to pet and play with.

If I traveled, I'd try and do some of the same stuff. Anything to make someone feel better. Sometimes it's a good thing to remember that sometimes you can be a big help just by letting someone know that you truly care.

Some people just need a shoulder to lean on. So even if you don't have money, there is always a way for you to help
y_not
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2014, 06:51 AM
They do say that if everyone in the world was to live to our standard (UK) then we would need a second world to support the standard AND if everyone was to live to the standards of the USA we would need another SEVEN worlds to support the standard.
Rather than to fund more and more people (with Aid) maybe we need to reconsider just how many people the planet can support and then set policies (which might seem harsh) to achieve the sustainable population ... across the world (not just in the poorer countries)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:45 PM
That is actually sensible y_not. It might sound cruel, but it is true. The world is overpopulated with humans, dogs, and other creatures WE have domesticated and allowed to run amok. We cause more harm to the planet than we do help, and there are far too many of us.

In China (I know China is communist), policies are in place where couples may only have a certain amount of children because there are simply TOO MANY people. I know people who have 7 or 8 kids and cannot afford even 3 kids.

On another note, I am American and you are right there again. We have wasted so much money on bogus war, absurd taxes and health proposals, and interfering with other countries policies (they don't even want our "help") that it's ridiculous.

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia and recently they approved a new sports dome that costed a billion dollars when our "old" dome is less than 25 years old and the only reason a new one got approved is because we wanted a bigger one so we could host more important events....

Add in that professional sports players make millions and millions a year (more money than they could ever spend) for no real reason (that money could be used so much better) and we have a bad reputation for very corrupt governmental leaders, I suspect it might take 20 worlds and not the 7 you said, so thanks for being nice!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5