View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 08:48 PM
The dog which suffered the heart attack in the incident I described was after a bird, not a bumper. We were hunting, not training.

C'mon now Wryekin, do you honestly think there is any human-applied force that could induce a dying (actually dead, for all intents and purposes) dog to do what this one did??? Really??? Did you not grasp the seriousness of her condition?? Her entire mouth was black, not blue or gray but black, and she was not breathing when I reached her. This was a dog which, as a youngster with very little training (read no force or commands involved), was separated from her quarry by a barbed wire fence, and did not even consider going around it, that would have taken her off target; no, her solution was to repeatedly bash the wire straight on and as hard as she could until she broke the lower strand, and laid her shoulder open in the process; which, by the way, she never even noticed until it was being stitched up at the vet.

My dog was not desperate in any sense of the word, and certainly did not rise from the dead out of a "desperate need" to work for me; nor was there a "desperate need" to avoid a shock, she had never had the collar on. (The only shock that would have been useful in this situation might have one from a defib machine, but I didn't happen to have one on me). I never gave her a command to retrieve, and to even suggest that I did is just silly, and a bit insulting; hell woman, I tried to stop her, and could not hold onto her because I was a bit feeble from my swim out to get her when she went down - in ice water - in January - in upstate NY.

Retrieve drive has it's basis in food-gathering, the dog is working for itself at the most elemental level. Ember was responding to her genetic drive, which, in combination with a high pain threshhold and an adrenalin surge, enabled her to block the pain and shock long enough to heed a drive that was just as strong in her as the drive to eat or breathe. It is difficult for people with no experience training and working high-drive dogs to comprehend how the drive affects the animal, and they can't even begin to imagine how drive helps a dog do things that seem impossible, and how it can help a dog learn. Everyone who is at all interested in the impact of genetics on behavior and training should avail themselves of the opportunity to at least observe such a dog in action.

I will respond to the rest of your post when I have more time. I apologize if this post seems to be overly emphatic, but this is not a pleasant incident to relive, even tho in retrospect it was pretty awe-inspiring.
Given that this is a thread related to e-collars started by you yourself who admit to using a three stage training program the last of which involves an e-collar, why is it such a surprise I assumed your dog had, had an e-collar on. If you never had to use an e-collar on that dog then you clearly trained it well without, showing that you are capable of training without it. Why then do you now feel the need to use it? Or do you use it only on those you feel do not have the correct level of drive.

It would not surprise me if a dog at deaths door did it's best to avoid a shock it is expecting should it not complete a given task. They are capable of many things and her drive may have been focused solely on avoiding the shock and as she was such high drive she found it in her to avoid it.

I did not say you asked the clearly very sick dog to return to the water, that in itself would be silly, but instead you originally gave a command for the dog to retrieve prior to her having the heart attack. As far as she was concerned her job was to return the quarry and she had yet to fulfil that instruction.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Firstlight... you admit the e.collar causes pain, you admit you have burnt dogs with it, you boast you breed for a high prey drive, yet you need to use an e.collar to contain that drive................. enough said !!
Jackbox, you and Lucky star apparently misunderstand the meaning of "burn" in this context. I guess I thought that those of you with strong anti-collar opinions knew enough about their use to know the terminology. "Burn" in this context refers to an extended shock, which should very rarely, if ever, be necessary after conditioning, and never at a high level; "nick" refers to a momentary shock, barely a second long.

I have never seen a dog develop an actual burn, as in caused by heat or fire, from a collar. Some dogs can develop staph infections, primarily caused by cheap collars with contacts that are made of something other than stainless steel, but even this is rare IME. I see more staph infections caused by leaving any collar on a dog when it is wet, particularly common in dogs with weak/compromised immune systems.

My personal preference is to work with dogs that need no encouragement to go forward, and the last thing want to do is "contain" or stifle drive; I do, however, want to channel it, direct it, and use it as a motivator.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 09:04 PM
There is a difference in language between here and the USA.

I've had many discussions with trainers from over the pond regarding e-collars, but have to say that it's the first time I've heard the 'burn' terminology. I only gathered what you meant from the context and use of 'nick' which I have heard referred to before.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
Jackbox, you and Lucky star apparently misunderstand the meaning of "burn" in this context. I guess I thought that those of you with strong anti-collar opinions knew enough about their use to know the terminology. "Burn" in this context refers to an extended shock, which should very rarely, if ever, be necessary after conditioning, and never at a high level; "nick" refers to a momentary shock, barely a second long.

I have never seen a dog develop an actual burn, as in caused by heat or fire, from a collar. Some dogs can develop staph infections, primarily caused by cheap collars with contacts that are made of something other than stainless steel, but even this is rare IME. I see more staph infections caused by leaving any collar on a dog when it is wet, particularly common in dogs with weak/compromised immune systems.

My personal preference is to work with dogs that need no encouragement to go forward, and the last thing want to do is "contain" or stifle drive; I do, however, want to channel it, direct it, and use it as a motivator.
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

I've had many discussions with trainers from over the pond regarding e-collars, but have to say that it's the first time I've heard the 'burn' terminology. I only gathered what you meant from the context and use of 'nick' which I have heard referred to before.
Dress it up any way you like by why on earth would any dog lover want to do this to a dog? Perhaps better put is would a genuine dog lover do this? "Extended shock", "conditioning" - as Brierley said this is a sentient being you are giving electric shocks to in the name of training.

Some people have a natural affinity with dogs, the patience, trust and understanding is there - a synergy if you like. There is no need - let alone desire - to inflict pain or "conditioning". It is only when that ability is lacking, and that level of trust is unobtainable, that some people turn to nasty methods.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Given that this is a thread related to e-collars started by you yourself who admit to using a three stage training program the last of which involves an e-collar, why is it such a surprise I assumed your dog had, had an e-collar on. If you never had to use an e-collar on that dog then you clearly trained it well without, showing that you are capable of training without it. Why then do you now feel the need to use it? Or do you use it only on those you feel do not have the correct level of drive.

It would not surprise me if a dog at deaths door did it's best to avoid a shock it is expecting should it not complete a given task. They are capable of many things and her drive may have been focused solely on avoiding the shock and as she was such high drive she found it in her to avoid it.

I did not say you asked the clearly very sick dog to return to the water, that in itself would be silly, but instead you originally gave a command for the dog to retrieve prior to her having the heart attack. As far as she was concerned her job was to return the quarry and she had yet to fulfil that instruction.
LOL, You know what happens when you "assume" things, right?

I never used the collar on any dog until I thought I had enough knowledge to use it properly, which was 17 years after I started training and showing dogs, and about two years after I lost Ember. And of course I trained without it, the ability to do that is an absolute prerequisite for using the collar, as I believe I made clear in a prior post.. I know you are not gonna buy this, but I'll say it anyway: What the collar did was make things easier on everyone, including and most importantly on the dogs.

I cannot imagine any aversive strong enough to override dead. If you can imagine such a "drive", why can you not imagine innate drive that is that is stronger than aversive avoidance?

And there were no commands given at any time that morning, we were well past the point in our partnership where commands were necessary.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm perplexed. If you are capable of training to such a high standard without physical aversives, what on Earth made you decide to use them?
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:47 PM

I hope you didn't think that post was aimed at you Brierley, but at those who apparently didn't get the meaning at all.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm perplexed. If you are capable of training to such a high standard without physical aversives, what on Earth made you decide to use them?
I don't know where you got that idea, I never said I trained without physical aversives, and I thought it was made pretty plain in some of my prior posts that I do use them. If I had never used them, it would have been a really really bad idea to introduce them via the e-collar. What I did do as I went along was constantly learn, and refine, and sometimes totally discard, some of my techniques, based on that learning.

You have to understand that when I began years ago, I had (and still have) a breed that was extremely unpopular and rare around here due to it's rep, and it was difficult to find a trainer (or anyone else,for that matter) of any discipline who didn't dislike and fear them, thought they had to be "dominated", and that training had to include plenty of strong "aversives". I got to the point where my gut (not to mention my own eyes!) was telling me the training methods being suggested by the "experts" were dead wrong for me and my dogs, and that feeling came to a head with the Alpha dog I mentioned earlier. I happily got involved with a group of folks that were into reasonable methods, one of whom is a Psych PHD and has published articles on dog training and behavior, including one on OC. I breathed a huge sigh of relief, and went on to develop a better way of training - not perfect, but way better.

The really interesting thing was the change in attitude toward my breed that I watched evolve as I got them out to competitions, ran clinics and demos, etc. with them. There was no conscious attempt on my part to provoke this change, I frankly didn't give a rat's rear what anyone else thought of my dogs, because I was the one living and working with them,and I adored them. We just quietly went about our business, and situations began to occur that made it obvious that people were revisiting their opinions;the most recent of these situations occurred just three years ago. I found the whole thing pretty humorous. In hindsight, I conclude that I must have been doing something right with my method, because if I had used the ideas proffered by others, there is no doubt in my mind that I surely would have had a different - and most unpleasant - result, no?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I can understand the collar making it easier for you, but it's quite a big assumption to believe that it makes things easier for the dog
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:04 AM
I can understand the collar making it easier for you, but it's quite a big assumption to believe that it makes things easier for the dog
Not an assumption at all, I would never assume such a thing, and I would never employ a training tool just because it made things easier for me. The collar makes it easier for me mostly because it makes it easier for the dog.
Page 15 of 36 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »