Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Follow on from dogs attacking cat thread. When YOUR dogs attack YOUR cat :0(

Yesterday I was in the lounge, dinning room doors to the garden open and the dogs were out there. I heard a cat scream and rushed outside. The last thing I expected to see was my Lily and one of my cats, Tabitha, locked on to each other!!

Alfie was barking and lunging at Tabitha and I grabbed his scruff while trying to grab Lily too. I could see that Tabitha had her claws wrapped around Lily's head (this happened with a friends cat a few weeks ago too) but I couldn't see if Lily had hold of Tabitha. I screamed at her to let go, Alfie was still going mad, and I think it was Tabitha who released her grip and ran off.

I put the dogs into Alfie's crate and my son and I tried to find Tabitha. She was no where to be seen and so I went in to check the dogs. Lily has kick scratches to her belly, cuts on her head and ears and a couple of nicks in her front legs. Alfie has welts on his head and scratches on his nose.

Tabitha was missing for about 4 hours but she finally came home. She has a tiny nick under her chin and she seems to have damaged a claw, I think when she jumped the gate to get away. Other than that she is fine. She ate (a very expensive dinner) last night and has had breakfast, been out for a pee and is now back on my bed.

I can only assume that they saw her, didn't realise it was her and chased. I think possibly she couldn't get away and so when they finally realised it was her, she felt threatened and attacked them.

I am stunned and so very relieved that their injuries are the worst. Alfie is a powerful dog with big jaws and one bite would cause devastating damage. Lily too could potentially have done the same. Looking back I think Alfie was so upset because he had been scratched. To be able to keep him back would have been impossible if he'd really wanted to hurt Tabitha.

I took both dogs to see Tabitha late last night when everyone was totally calm. Lily sniffed her all over and then they licked each others faces. Alfie sniffed her too, Tabitha chirruped at him and they spent the night curled up together on my bed. I wonder whether Tabitha actually realised it was them that attacked her?

From now on I will not just let the dogs out in the garden without checking for Tabitha and supervising the dogs.

Lily and Tabitha

Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I know when I have sometimes let Coles and Buster out in the yard (when it is dark) and Mika (my cat) is there Coles has not realised it is her but Buster has. Coles is an older dog and his eyesight is failing him now so he just sees movement and then gives chase. Mika runs off and then comes back when Coles is inside. I am now more aware about letting Cole’s out in the dark yard when Mika is about. Coles is fine in the yard in day light.

Hope all three heal well and there are no more incidents of this.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:09 AM
poor you clare, can only imagine what a stress that was. Does seem strange that they are all fine now, I wonder as you say if they didn't realise it was her.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I think it is a case of they didn't realise it was her, Sadie often chases prince off the garden, but as he knows her he doesn't run or put up a fight, just stops.. and she sniffs him then walks away..

Hope they're all ok now..
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
I know when I have sometimes let Coles and Buster out in the yard (when it is dark) and Mika (my cat) is there Coles has not realised it is her but Buster has. Coles is an older dog and his eyesight is failing him now so he just sees movement and then gives chase. Mika runs off and then comes back when Coles is inside. I am now more aware about letting Cole’s out in the dark yard when Mika is about. Coles is fine in the yard in day light.

Hope all three heal well and there are no more incidents of this.
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
poor you clare, can only imagine what a stress that was. Does seem strange that they are all fine now, I wonder as you say if they didn't realise it was her.
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I think it is a case of they didn't realise it was her, Sadie often chases prince off the garden, but as he knows her he doesn't run or put up a fight, just stops.. and she sniffs him then walks away..

Hope they're all ok now..
Thanks guys. It is odd and something I never anticipated happening! They are all acting fine, so I hope this is the end of it. I will be very vigilant in future!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Cats will defend themselves & will often go for eyes if attacked. Just watch the interaction from now on even in the house, subtle signs you may not have noticed before between them.

Very scary for you, hope it all settles down & you never have to go through something like that again. Hugs xx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 11:24 AM
How horrible for you & it does just show that "you never know"
Tilly & our cat Chloe generally get on fine although Chloe only comes in for food & sometimes at night if it's cold. She has her little house in the garden.
But this one time when I was doing their dinners on the worktop, Tilly went for Chloe & she didn't come back for a whole day Normally Tilly is ok about her sniffing around her food, but I had fresh chicken this day & I think that is what sparked it off. Now when Chloe is in for dinner I put her up on the worktop where she is fed & prepare Tilly's the other side of the kitchen just in case. Tilly waits for Chloe to jump down so she can lick her face!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 12:16 PM
that must have been scary for you {hugs} to you all xxx

my dogs are fine with the cats in the house, though ty will chase in the garden, he is getting better with his leave it though so doesn't do it as much as he did when he was younger x
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I would agree with other posters that your dogs probably didn't realised the cat was Tabitha (she's lovely by the way).

Thankfully I've never had a problem like this so far, but I do check where Tyr is and that no neighbourhood cats are in the garden before I leave the back door open for Guinness, ever though Guinness seems to be generally fine with all cats, not just Tyr. When he sees them out and about he doesn't lunge for them or anything, however, with him being a greyhound and likely to catch if he did chase, I don't take chances.

Tyr does occasionally whack Guinness on the nose, this is usually when Tyr has jumped up onto the window ledge out of the way of Guinness doing zoomies in the living room or pestering him to play. Guinness will see him jump up and go over and nose at him and Tyr gets fed up of this and smacks him. He's not doing it with claws, he's not intending damage, it’s more of a "Leave me alone" thing. Guinness always backs off at this point, but the silly sod has still not learned that "window ledge kitty" means leave.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Must have been very scary but glad they are all ok now. Fingers crossed there won't be any more incidents
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >