Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I agree that picture was totally uncalled for. Who said "the poor are always with us" and also that wars will always be with us because, after all, people make a lot of money out of war.

Whether or not they spent £1 or £1m on their wedding is immaterial, it is their business and would not make one iota of difference to the situations portrayed in that tasteless montage.

I think spending a lot of money on a wedding is a pointless waste of money, but if others want to spend zambillions on theirs then good luck to em; if it makes them happy; after all nobody actually DIED because they got married or because that amount of money was spent.

Thousands of underage children were not flogged to weave the wedding dress fabric; nobody starved in order that they could enjoy their wedding cake!
I agree SB...
The couple could have done as I did, gone to a registry office one lunch time to get married and they may actually have preferred to do something like that but as was pointed out to me later by my family I denied them the pleasure of sharing in my special day, I realise that now.
William and Katherine probably didn't have a lot of choice in the size of their wedding, to some extent protocol will have dictated how it should be. I am sure all those who attended the wedding in person will have an experience to remember. I saw some people who attended being interviewed, not celebrities but people who had worked tirelessly for local charities and received an invitation in recognition of their work.

A lot of people are finding life tough at the moment, many can't do much to change their situation but that doesn't mean they can't share in the happiness of others more fortunate and escape into a fairy tale for a few hours.
If one can call the Royals 'fortunate', I wouldn't want to change places with any of them, I value my independence and freedom and would hate to have to spend half my life in the public eye attending endless boring functions.

I personally wouldn't want to spend huge amounts on a wedding either but as I now know at least other people get to share in a couples good fortune.
What people spent their money on is up to them, there are worst things for a bride to be to spend money on than a wedding like hideous false breasts and other expensive 'beauty' treatments which to me create static features and a doll like appearance.
I though Katherine looked refreshingly 'normal' with a natural beauty, that is getting to be something quite rare these days.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I haven`t got a problem with the Royals or the ceremony or all the parties. I just don`t want to join in. Is that so awful?
I don`t like TV soaps or shopping either and the thought of spending time discussing someone`s frock makes my toes curl.
I`m glad everyone had a nice time. But it isn`t compulsory that we all think the same, you know.
Oh listen, I was like that too, I was at the gym to avoid it, but got caught up in it...well...as much as you can when killing yourself on a running/rowing/cycling machine.

I still think the lad deserved happiness, and I understand he wants to protect her from the press as much as he can which is only to be admired. I hope they have a long and happy life together and the bad luck which has been dogging the couples of that family lately.

I have nothing against avoiding the wedding, however, Steve, to be honest, that picture was a bit much and out of order...Yes our taxes to a certain extent did pay for some of the wedding, especially the security.

However, I suspect that the tourism brought in by the wedding will equal everything out, the amount of folks who came over into the country to see the wedding was extraordinary.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Well my mum had it on tv & as i was pottering about i too watched most of it. Its what the rest of the world expected & got. I thought it had a fairytale quality about it. Thought it lovely her hair was long - so many girls have short hair these days.

If we didnt have royalty we'd have presidents or something else....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Claire - I think it's just the 2 of us who didn't watch it then!
I didn't watch it, I was in bed thanks to the hangover to top all hangovers!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I wasn't going to watch it, thought I would catch up with the highlights during the news later on. However, Daniel wanted to watch it so I sat down with him, I was suprised when Clive joined us, and we were all soon sitting there smiling and enjoying the whole thing.

I'm not a royalist but I do like William and, from what I've seen of Katherine, she seems really nice too. Why shouldn't they have happiness? It's not their fault that he was born a prince, and I would imagine a lot of the day was taken out of their hands, simply because of who he is.

I thought it refreshing to see a royal couple truly in love rather than having to get married because it is expected of them. I also think they will bring the royal family a lot closer to joe public as they seem down to earth rather than the aloofness we have seen from the royals in the past.

Just my opinion though, I thought it was a lovely day, they looked very happy together and, at the end of the day, thats what marriage is all about.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I watched the whole thing. And I loved it. Showing what Britain does best - putting on a good show and involving everyone in it! We welcomed people from all over the world into our country to share in a fabulous event that went without incident - showing just how special a day it was! I think it helped boost spirits and indeed will have brought a lot of money into the country through extra tourism.

I totally got caught up in it and loved seeing what everyone wore etc. A brilliant day for a lovely couple. And I for one wish them all the best for the future Plus Harry was a nice bit of eye-candy

xoxox
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'll bet my last penny that those people who delibretly shunned the event and have been critising the cost,media coverage etc took full advantage of the extra bank holiday on full pay though so makes them big fat hypocrites.If they felt so strongly about it they should have gone to work or if they were closed then help out at an animal rescue centre etc where they cannot close,but we know that just wouldnt happen because everyone loves a freebie dont they..
Hmmmm...... not everyone got paid. Some of us wanted to work and were prevented from doing so. Some of us got eff all for the 29th.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hmmmm...... not everyone got paid. Some of us wanted to work and were prevented from doing so. Some of us got eff all for the 29th.
Indeed, and schools were closed so if parents were determined to go to work - and were able to - or decided to throw themselves into voluntary/charity related activities - they had to, somehow (on this day), find child care. And pay for it.

So perhaps it wasn't such a "jolly" for some.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Thank all those deities I don't believe in that its over...Now they can stop blabbing on about it every 2 minutes and all of us, the married couple included can get on with our lives.

I challenged myself to see how long I could go before changing the channel...I lasted 2 minutes.

I've nothing against the two of them, William is one of the only people out of his family I actually like. I just find weddings borring and yes, more times than not, a lot of money to waste for one day.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Thank all those deities I don't believe in that its over...Now they can stop blabbing on about it every 2 minutes and all of us, the married couple included can get on with our lives.

I challenged myself to see how long I could go before changing the channel...I lasted 2 minutes.

I've nothing against the two of them, William is one of the only people out of his family I actually like. I just find weddings borring and yes, more times than not, a lot of money to waste for one day.
I agree with all that.

I don't hate the Royal family as such, just not very interested in them, but I do quite like William and Harry. More so Harry as he's quite cheeky!

Weddings as a whole bore me though, I'd rather watch paint dry!
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16