View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Well mine have half checks for normal use but when I had my boy a year ago at 10, with no training, he could get out of a halfcheck so for a while I used a check chain as well when we were out till I was secure enough in our bond to know if he got away he would come back to me.
My bitch only uses a long link check chain linked back in the breed ring because she will only pull into a metal collar.
Something she was trained in when I had her. A check chain would be no good to teach her obedience as she immediately pulls when it is put on her.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I Love choke chains - I confiscate them from any new students and use them for keeping gates closed and padlocked................ Saves me a fortune lol!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lou SA View Post
I Love choke chains - I confiscate them from any new students and use them for keeping gates closed and padlocked................ Saves me a fortune lol!
Nice one!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:16 PM
What a BRILLIANT use for them - I wish I hadn't thrown away Tai's now!
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
What a BRILLIANT use for them - I wish I hadn't thrown away Tai's now!
I have an entire collection of choke chains - all my paddock gates are secure with them as fastners lol!

Another great use for them is on handlers who insist on jerking their leashes. After a resonable amount of time explaining why they should not do this (and admit it often is just a bad habit, not intentional) I keep the smaller choke chains and loop the slip end to the handlers leash hand/wrist on one end - and attach the other end to their jeans belt! Stops leash jerking immediately - oh yes and I have also used cable ties on handlers for the same purpose - its the only kind of negative reinforcement I use!

Now I think I must start collecting pinch collars hee hee (evil laugh)!
Lol!~

Lou SA
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I have an entire collection of choke chains - all my paddock gates are secure with them as fastners lol!

Another great use for them is on handlers who insist on jerking their leashes. After a resonable amount of time explaining why they should not do this (and admit it often is just a bad habit, not intentional) I keep the smaller choke chains and loop the slip end to the handlers leash hand/wrist on one end - and attach the other end to their jeans belt! Stops leash jerking immediately - oh yes and I have also used cable ties on handlers for the same purpose - its the only kind of negative reinforcement I use!

Now I think I must start collecting pinch collars hee hee (evil laugh)!
Lol!~

Lou SA
Forgot to add - another great fun way to stop handlers jerking leashes (especially blokes with short sleve shirts and hairy arms) is duct tape - easy to do, you just wrap the offending leash arm snug to their body and wrap with the very sticky tape - such fun to take it off. Always have lots of student volunteers to remove it ....... think it is usualy the ladies who want the blokes to feel what a waxing is like.....

All of the above the habit is quickly extinguished ......
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Forgot to add - another great fun way to stop handlers jerking leashes (especially blokes with short sleve shirts and hairy arms) is duct tape - easy to do, you just wrap the offending leash arm snug to their body and wrap with the very sticky tape - such fun to take it off. Always have lots of student volunteers to remove it ....... think it is usualy the ladies who want the blokes to feel what a waxing is like.....

All of the above the habit is quickly extinguished ......
I was recently asked if I'd recommend using a choke chain to stop a dog pulling on the lead.

"I wouldn't use one ...." was all I managed before I was interrupted:

"You're just like my husband. Too soft you men, afraid you might hurt the dog."

I offered a few alternatives: I suggested she might try using treats as a lure (cue discussion about the dog not being interested in treats -have you tried cheese/ham/hot dog sausages? cumberland sausages, chicken, liver?) or failing that asked if the dog has a favourite toy.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a halti/gentle leader/dogmatic.

Maybe try letting the dog have some time off lead before doing he loose lead work.

I lent her "The Power of Positive Training" (Pat Miller), I stopped short of handing her the gentle leader that I have knocking about - given how I've seen some fitted - but offered to meet up.

I saw the dog (Border Collie) taking her husband for a walk the other day...
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I was recently asked if I'd recommend using a choke chain to stop a dog pulling on the lead.

"I wouldn't use one ...." was all I managed before I was interrupted:

"You're just like my husband. Too soft you men, afraid you might hurt the dog."

I offered a few alternatives: I suggested she might try using treats as a lure (cue discussion about the dog not being interested in treats -have you tried cheese/ham/hot dog sausages? cumberland sausages, chicken, liver?) or failing that asked if the dog has a favourite toy.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a halti/gentle leader/dogmatic.

Maybe try letting the dog have some time off lead before doing he loose lead work.

I lent her "The Power of Positive Training" (Pat Miller), I stopped short of handing her the gentle leader that I have knocking about - given how I've seen some fitted - but offered to meet up.

I saw the dog (Border Collie) taking her husband for a walk the other day...

You can take a horse to water ....... but you cant make him drink! ........... sigh.......... poor BC and they have such sensitive necks as well.......
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Ideal use for them. I used to use them on all my gates at the field and the rings are perfect for fitting the padlock to.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Ideal use for them. I used to use them on all my gates at the field and the rings are perfect for fitting the padlock to.
Waste not want not - that is the thing!
Page 11 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »