View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=Lionhound;2098438]I dont know much personally but OH admired her stance in the Falklands.[/QUOT
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I ust admit Falklands in my opinion was her only ''glory moment'
I am not saying we should not have defended The Falklands, but what glory was there in the sinking of the Belgrano. She was very unpopular in Canada and America at that time and it definitely was not considered one of her finest moments
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Who remembers what?

Thatcher, milk snatcher.
Mortgage interest rates through the ceiling.
Housing market gone crazy after announcing the abolishing of the tax relief.
Teenage estate agents and the city full of yuppies.
Poll tax inflicted on everyone in the house over 18.

But I still get pleasure from watching any video clip of her crying her eyes out outside no.10 when they gave her the boot!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=aerolor;2098584]
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I dont know much personally but OH admired her stance in the Falklands.[/QUOT

I am not saying we should not have defended The Falklands, but what glory was there in the sinking of the Belgrano. She was very unpopular in Canada and America at that time and it definitely was not considered one of her finest moments
There is no glory in the sinking of the Belgrano as there was no glory in the Sir Galahad being attacked by missiles either.......
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Ohhhh, don't get me started!

I remember the hell our family went through cause she privatised the coal industry and the rocketing prices for coal resulted in one of the biggest employers, the Smelter, in our area shutting down without much notice. I remember my mother on the phone with Dad crying her eyes out cause we had just bought a house and we would have to move. I blame that alone for my mother's decline into mental instability (I don't think that was all that the problem was but it is when I remember her starting to get ill).

I remember getting milk in school up till Primary 3, then it went.

I remember the Falklands, but at the time it seemed right. I have a friend who was in 2 Para at the time and he has problems with his legs as a result of a shell going off behind him on Goose Green. He spend his 18th Birthday on a hospital ship. However, I still think the old bat was right to send in the troops and so does my friend, even after everything, he still thinks they were right...he went on to serve in the SAS.

I remember 3 million unemployed too! Also the bright idea of the YTS so they could massage the figures...

I remember the Poll Tax debacle for Scotland. I remember watching the manager of our local radio station (he was a staunch Tory too) shouting at the telly while Maggie was saying she would not be for turning at her to 'resign you b***h'

I remember the relief when she went and when the tories were voted out, and Labour came in, okay they weren't much better in the end but I stick with my fathers maxim...NEVER TRUST A TORY!

I can say with some pride that since 1982 this area has NEVER had a tory back in power...ever, nobody in our area has trusted em since. And Scotland has one single solitary Tory MP in the whole country.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Lionhound;2098618]
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post

There is no glory in the sinking of the Belgrano as there was no glory in the Sir Galahad being attacked by missiles either.......
You are right Lionhounds, there is no glory in war and loss of life, but the Belgrano was sunk 30 miles outside of the war zone......that was why there was the controversy, particularly as it was also moving further away from the war zone at the time it was sunk.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I remember the sky high interest rates especially, as we'd just taken on a humungous hefty big mortgage to buy a big detatched house on the sea-front coz, we felt we could manage it, both having good jobs at the time (we were lucky!) I was only 30 at the time. But guess what, the day we moved into it, my parents made me redundant coz they sold their business there were 3 million people unemployed but I came up with a bright idea which saved us and ended up being the making of us quite honestly.

I remember those miner's strikes too, but again I somehow seemed to benefit from that one, coz at that time we had moved on to a guest house, and I seemed to be crammed full with policemen (I think??!!) who were assigned to go up there to sort it all out!

I remember the Poll Tax riots too, they were pretty horrendous in themselves from what I saw on the telly.

I was at the age where quite honestly, I just wanted to get on with my life, I'm at my best when facing a challenge, and they sure were challenging times, basically, whatever we were doing, we were in effect just working for the banks to make them richer and to keep our heads above the water. Hubby always managed to find work coz he's skilled, and I worked hard to keep what we had achieved, even though the overdraft was going up, up and uuuuuup!

I wasn't into politics in any shape or form in those days though, I just thought to myself, well, this is life, it seems to be a hard struggle, so I just got on with it. Luck played a good part for us though, we took gambles, big gambles, but they paid off, thankfully. We didn't know what a week-end or a holiday was for many, many years, but it was either sink or swim back then.

Funny how when you are older and you can look back on different era's with different governments in power, you can actually see those good times along with the bad times and how very hard it was. I fear we're in for another bleak winter ahead though, those good times have definitely gone for the time being, but they'll be back, they always are!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Lionhound;2098618]
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post

The Belgrano was ordered to attack British ships the day before it was sunk [as I remember]

and that I am afraid is war.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Casting my mind back......

I remember my father being made redundant, we really struggled.

I moved 300 miles to get a job aged 17

I eventually moved to the South of France and whilst there seeing the headlines that Britain was at war!!

UB40 and the song one in ten really summed up the feeling back then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXEqeLgb_o

Everyone and their dog (couldn't resist) buying property, many made a killing but we timed it wrong, Massive increase in the interest rate that eventually meant that we lost our house.

The poll tax riots.

The day that Labour won the election.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=aerolor;2098691]
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post

You are right Lionhounds, there is no glory in war and loss of life, but the Belgrano was sunk 30 miles outside of the war zone......that was why there was the controversy, particularly as it was also moving further away from the war zone at the time it was sunk.
I believe that Britain informed Argentina that if they felt any ship that posed a threat to British Forces would be attacked regardless of the exclusion zone and Argentina knew this, they accepted it was a legitimate act of war.

I believe in our Armed Forces and think that they do try to make the right decisions in awful circumstances.

^^^^dont know what happened to that quote?
budskipup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:08 PM
omg, I remember her well , when she came to power I got married and guess what my married name was , for many years I was asked if I was related to her .
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »