Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Out of interest do you remember who the judge was?

rune
I've been racking my brain but can't remember his name,it was at newbury so would have been vyne or agility club show. He is a grade 7 handler though so should know better. The most frustrating thing was that kyp hadn't even missed the contact he just decided we suddenly did running ones and forgot to wait for a release! Apart from that the round was clear, I even had it on video so could watch it back.
I think it's a shame the judges ask people to leave at any grade as surely the point of contacts is to ensure the dogs safety on the equipment, if you can't reinforce them in a show it's tricky.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I know with some judges time was often a factor - with hundreds of dogs to get through in a ring each day, especially at the really bigs shows there was just not the time.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree time is an issue and some people really take the mickey in the ring but I think the fair thing would be to allow handlers their course time if nothing else. I know of one judge in particular that actively encourages people to do the whole piece of contact equipment again if the dog breaks through the contact,and that's at 6 and 7!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
I agree time is an issue and some people really take the mickey in the ring but I think the fair thing would be to allow handlers their course time if nothing else. I know of one judge in particular that actively encourages people to do the whole piece of contact equipment again if the dog breaks through the contact,and that's at 6 and 7!
I think that fair - you have paid your entry fee....you should be allowed to choose how you use that money....(within reason of course )
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Glad you had fun at training H you think twirling on the A frame is scary, wait until Zena does it on the dog walk (hopefully for your nerves she never will) it doesn't happen very often, but whenever I see a dog do it, I have to hold my breath

As far as contacts go, we have had to teach Jack 2 on 2 off, as his contacts were non existent where Chris teaches, they teach 2 on 2 off, then wait for a release command before moving on, so the dogs with dodgy contacts can be held there a bit longer, and those with good contacts can be released almost instantly and eventually after their contact command and the handle knows the contact has been got they can release them so turning it into a running contact.

What I like about where Chris teaches, and the way Chris is being taught, is that all the dogs are individuals and different ways may suit different dogs, no one way is right or wrong

There's a gorgeous Lurcher that Chris is teaching at the moment, and his problem is his up contacts on the A Frame, when left to his own devices he can leap to about 12-18 inches from the top of A but he is getting there

Going to the E for going back on a contact after leaving the equipment, I thought it would have been an Elimination as the dog has gone back onto the equipment after leaving it, thus doing the wrong course, which is an E, well, that's what I've always believed it to have been
Blimey, this is normal behaviour then???? I know exactly where I went wrong, coz this was my very first time all alone, offlead, the trainer stayed at the other end of the course, and as I got to it and got her to sit, I stupidly, stupidly took the ball off her, and then when she was 2/3rd the way up, she suddenly realised I had it and she wanted it , on top of that, because I know how much she likes it now, I gave her NO instructions to go up, no up, up, up like I always did before, probably coz I was so windy I was all on my own, but thankfully all ended well after I shoved her up by her backside when she was hanging there gripping on for dear life with those claws!!! The trainer did compliment me on that bit, but told me off about my lack of instructions! That's taught me a big lesson, won't be doing that again! The dog walk is different, she seems to steam ahead in front of me, and I'm always saying go, go, go, go (don't know if that's right but that's what I say!!! ) and she really is concentrating hard with that, she's just got too blase with that bladdy a-frame though!!! I told you it would be the bain of my lessons right from the start didn't I!

I've now enlisted the help of a friend who had shepherds, she's a lot younger and more agile than me (I have heart probs same as you have chest probs) and I know Zena loves her coz she went straight up to her a couple of months ago as if she'd known her all her life and that never happens with Zena, so she's coming with me the sunday after my Wednesday lesson, so it'll be piccies and some by then!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I am glad you are enjoying it Helena and that Zena has taken to it so well xxxx
ps don't be hard for yoursef it was only your third session!!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Aitch.....my most embarrassing agility moment was when we had to run a course and be timed. I had the wrong bra on shall we say and things got a little free and easy! To top that off I tripped as we came through the finishing point and fell flat on my face. Good job Fudge had it all together!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Oh Rach, such a picture you've just painted in my mind!!!!! Did anybody capture that for You've Been Framed then????????????

Note to self: if entering any competitions, make sure you wear correctly fitting bra, and studded boots!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Aitch.....my most embarrassing agility moment was when we had to run a course and be timed. I had the wrong bra on shall we say and things got a little free and easy! To top that off I tripped as we came through the finishing point and fell flat on my face. Good job Fudge had it all together!
Oh dear

BTW spinning is just when they are not confident in what they are to do - but having a great time - and checking in with you
You see lots of dogs do it before jumps
Ben used to spin and he would jump up and mouth my arm

Mia nips my bum if I am not fast enough - cheeky girl!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:15 PM
No BenMc, I know what caused this, she suddenly caught sight of the big ball on the rope which was in my hand, so she came over to me for it, realised she was lopsided, couldn't cope with that, so spun the full 180 back to where she HAD been, then couldn't grip with her front feet, except with those claws lol! Again, on the downward slope, she felt more confident, and decided to spin for fun I think coz she still wanted that ball, I should have chucked it down the slope in front of her, but then she would have jumped off! It won't be happening again, she can have the bladdy ball!!!
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >