register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 84 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 67 > Last »
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Shona looking forward to the video by the way

Wys
x
just off to load it to PB now,

ETA: having problems with PB, but will load it when it finaly loads up......its so slow tonight.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 08:48 PM
here is a very short version of it..

kenzo did a short intro to the clicker two weeks ago, then he was off last week, so this is the first real behaviour we asked for, {I had intended to train him tip and tap} kenzo is not used to using his front feet really, but tip and tap sort of turned into wave, which is more of a swipe just now, but we will fine tune it to look like kaos doing it next week...
sometimes when I give him the hand signal for wave, he goes trotting off to heal...bless.
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture674.flv
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 05:06 AM
But that's the American way I think - they never walk anywhere

*runs and hides from the US dog owners*
I grow weary of this. I don't think you have enough information to say something like this. I am american and I walk my dog EVERY day. Funny thing, while I'm out walking my dog, I encounter lots of other Americans out walking their dogs. Yes, dogs get left in yards and aren't socialized by some people but not the vast majority like you all seem to assume. I work in the veterinary industry and I encounter pet owners from all walks of life every day. Some are bad pet owners, the vast majority of them are good pet owners. By your own admission, you have bad pet owners in the UK, or do you deny this?

We have leash laws in the US so dogs dont get off leash walks unless there is a dog park in the community, but that doesn't mean dogs don't get walked and exercised. In fact, I would say that since CM came onto the scene, MORE people are walking their dogs than ever before.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Of course he handles dogs, but he won't teach them the basics like sit, stay, lie down.
Does he actually bother to ascertain what basics the dog actually knows? Without knowing that you simply do not have a base level from which to start from!
I'm not sure whether he's actually dealt with a poodle in his programmes but if he tried his methods on any of mine they would all switch off completely. I don't think he truely understands dogs, nor people, very well.
Becky
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
By your own admission, you have bad pet owners in the UK, or do you deny this?
I can't admit it then deny it

I know it was a generalisation, that's why I said I was running and hiding from the US dog owners

But, an extremely high % of the people featured on Milan's programme do not walk their dogs.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post

I know it was a generalisation, that's why I said I was running and hiding from the US dog owners

But, an extremely high % of the people featured on Milan's programme do not walk their dogs.
I wonder if they don`t walk their dogs because the dogs are difficult - or are the dogs are difficult because they don`t get walked....
There are a lot of dogs where I live who only get walked at weekends (I don`t count the run round the block as a walk - it`s a toilet break).
I also wonder if the walking thing is another `instant answer` - like making the dog fear you? (Guess which side I`m on!)
As I understand it, his theories are not based on any accepted study as he`s self taught. Nothing wrong with that of course - but the only theaory he seems to rely on (the alpha theory) has been disproved, and disowned by the scientists who postulated it.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Does he actually bother to ascertain what basics the dog actually knows? Without knowing that you simply do not have a base level from which to start from!
I'm not sure whether he's actually dealt with a poodle in his programmes but if he tried his methods on any of mine they would all switch off completely. I don't think he truely understands dogs, nor people, very well.
Becky
There was a standard poodle on there once who got overexcited with visitors, though not to a huge extend iirc. I don't remember what methods he used, but I remember her hiding under the table from him
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I wonder if they don`t walk their dogs because the dogs are difficult - or are the dogs are difficult because they don`t get walked....
I expect the latter, although it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

(I don't count once round the block as a walk either and neither does my dog )
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post

I originally was told by an american that they tend to have very large back yards in the States (back yards = gardens) and as such, many people in the States think that the dogs will just exercise themselves in the back yard. It is not every american dog owner of course, but it is far more common in the States for dogs not to be walked on a regular basis than it is in this country.

My friend commented on how amazed she was when she first came to live in the UK at how most people walk their dogs at least once a day, something that was rare back home. Her words, not mine.

And I think it is great that Cesar has encouraged more people to exercise their dogs regularly.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
any trainer worth there salt will be calm and positive.

but why would a trainer or owner need to pull a dog?
thats not how to solve problems, much of my training is done off lead, even with problem dogs,
I tend to use many horse methods with dogs, its far easier if a dog wants to be with you rather than needs to be with you fighting against you. Its just a case of finding out what makes that dog tick and want to be with you

this is where things can get time consuming and you need to have a good range of ideas and be able to think off the cuff, what ever works for the dog works for me, so I mold the training to suit that dog..

again with the pull pull thing, this give me the feel of a very limited trainer with no real ideas.

Again your looking at CM's methods from a wolf dog owners view, but I have not seen him to date train a wolf x

he trains everything from chi's to mastiffs with the the same limited methods.

again, dont get me wrong, Im not totaly against CM nor am I for him, I just find him a tad limited, its the same old week in week out, never anything new.
when I say "pull" Shona, I mean the owner being pulled on the lead by the dog. Mals can be notorious for doing this. I didn't mean to say that the owner pulls the dog !

Hal used to pull like an express train, and the more resistance you put on the lead, the more he pulled. When I learned from Cesar to walk him with a loose lead, controlling him with my voice, he stopped pulling.

That's what I meant to say !
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 84 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 67 > Last »