Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
now i dont do agility....but if i ever did, ive decided, id do 2by2 weaves & running contacts!
... and if I had a choice, that's the way I'd go too, it's the same as the link I put up earlier and I like that method the best. In fact, looking back to my own lesson at the beginning, that is exactly how we started off, my line of poles is joined in the middle and she took one away, put it in front,just like that 2*2 method only with 4 poles instead of 2, and made the walk through so much wider with one in front of t'other, but now of course, it's all one long line. Maybe mine is called a 4*4
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:06 PM
For me there's only one way to go with weaves -

2*2, 2*2, 2*2!!!!!

I taught Spring this way yeeeaaars ago and in eight years of competition she never once missed the weaves or got faulted on them... lots of contact faults but no weave faults!!!

Then with Ziggie I was persuaded to try channels and it caused no end of problems, he was that fast that although he did them well if he hit them right he had no respect for them and regularly snapped them and threw them out of the base. Three other dogs in our class taught that method do the same, they hit them that hard it makes you cringe.

With Indy, Felix and now Oliver i've gone back to 2*2 and they're turning into really consistent weavers and love the obstacle, just like Spring did, and genuinely understand the weave motion - with me anywhere. I don't think you need to use channels to train consistency you just need to take your time and be consistent with your cues!

Plus like Bmc says if you use 2*2 you can correct on course much more effectively.

Horses for courses though!

P.S - Two on two off for contacts
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:09 PM
sneaks in to ask yet another question....... now what is this "contact" all about please with the weaving??? I understand the contact for the other equipment, but not for the weaving???? Sorry!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
sneaks in to ask yet another question....... now what is this "contact" all about please with the weaving??? I understand the contact for the other equipment, but not for the weaving???? Sorry!
We're going off topic H, we mean the a-frame/dog walk/seasaw and the methods used to make sure the dog touches the contact area. Two on two off is where the dog runs to a stop with two back feet on the contact and two front feet on the floor. Running contacts is where you teach the dog to touch the contact without stopping, either way takes alot of consistency and repetition but running contacts arguably better timing!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought to teach running contacts you have to use full size equipment, which I and many others just don't have regular access to so have to stick to teaching a pause or 2o2o as thats what I am able to practise at home.

H there is no 'contact' in regard to the weaves.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 07:33 PM
http://silvia.trkman.net/
Her method is amazing for the running contacts - and you can do it anywhere you can fit in a plank of wood.

Although in the begining I wanted to teach a running contact ATM I am glad I didnt, I at least have a place I can stop my dog if I get totaly messed up!!
Possibly when my handling is better and I teach better direction commands
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:06 PM
if you needed to retrace on r/c you would just go back to the plank.

I think its so cool!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I didn't think anyone trained running contacts any more----too easy to lose them in competition.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I didn't think anyone trained running contacts any more----too easy to lose them in competition.

rune
I think its cos there are different training methods out there now more people are doing them again
Its easy to loose contacts any way you teach them - I have seen quite a lot of dogs eliminated and ejected from the ring for the dogs reversing back into the 2o2o - judges are really geting strict on that now
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think its cos there are different training methods out there now more people are doing them again
Its easy to loose contacts any way you teach them - I have seen quite a lot of dogs eliminated and ejected from the ring for the dogs reversing back into the 2o2o - judges are really geting strict on that now
That should always be an elimination.....
IF all four feet have come off the equipment first.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >