View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Drenchedgremlin
New Member!
Male 

11-04-2017, 10:34 PM

I need your help discussing a possible husky companion!

Hey im new to the forum. I made this account because i want input from real dog lovers & owners. So:

I have been wanting a husky companion for a long time. I love many things about them (strong will, beauty, independence, intelligence, ect.). I feel i would make a great owner & best friend even though I have some concerns.
About me: I live alone, single with no other pets. I live in a somewhat small space (trailer), but have a large fenced yard, & spend a lot of time outside. The reason I am not concerned about the space is because I could provide plenty of exercise. I live near a river with lots of trails & would love to take him on long daily walks there. I also had this idea to play tether ball (but with a dog toy) with him in the back yard. He would be the center of my attention & wouldnt be in competition with anyone. I don't go places very often on most days i stay on the property besides my morning walks ( which he would accompany me on). i would be by his side 95% of the time. I am very patient & loving. I know huskys can be a challenge to train but they seem so smart & i feel it would be extremely rewarding & worth it to me. Now onto my concerns:
1)Top concern is that it gets pretty hot in the summer here (up to 100!). I am worried that it would be hard to get him enough exercise during the summer. I had a few ideas, to take him on jogs early in the morning when it is still cool out, & maybe again when it cools down in the afternoon. & also play some tether ball toys in the backyard to top it off. My other idea is to make a vest for him. This vest would have a solid cover on the outside with compartments to hold ice packs, & have a thin breathable layer on the inside. If done right i am hoping this could help keep him cool so that we could still get him exercise during the hot daytime. This is just an idea, I understand this may not work
2)I would not leave him home very often, & when i do it would probably never be longer than a few hours. I am just worried about separation anxiety, & i know they can howl & become destructive under such circumstances. Wondering what the best way to go about this. Crate training from a young age possibly? My second idea is to get a companion pet order so that i can take him with me for the times i go shopping. My ultimate goal is to have him well trained so that i can take him anywhere. This is a potential option but ideally it would be nice to be able to leave him home instead without any problems.

I am open to any thoughts and suggestions. I know i have some obstacles to work around, but this is something i want more than anything so i would love to find a way to make this all possible. Thank you for reading
Kokaka
New Member!
Male 

03-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by Drenchedgremlin View Post
Hey im new to the forum. I made this account because i want input from real dog lovers & owners. So:

I have been wanting a husky companion for a long time. I love many things about them (strong will, beauty, independence, intelligence, ect.). I feel i would make a great owner & best friend even though I have some concerns.
About me: I live alone, single with no other pets. I live in a somewhat small space (trailer), but have a large fenced yard, & spend a lot of time outside. The reason I am not concerned about the space is because I could provide plenty of exercise. I live near a river with lots of trails & would love to take him on long daily walks there. I also had this idea to play tether ball (but with a dog toy) with him in the back yard. He would be the center of my attention & wouldnt be in competition with anyone. I don't go places very often on most days i stay on the property besides my morning walks ( which he would accompany me on). i would be by his side 95% of the time. I am very patient & loving. I know huskys can be a challenge to train but they seem so smart & i feel it would be extremely rewarding & worth it to me. Now onto my concerns:
1)Top concern is that it gets pretty hot in the summer here (up to 100!). I am worried that it would be hard to get him enough exercise during the summer. I had a few ideas, to take him on jogs early in the morning when it is still cool out, & maybe again when it cools down in the afternoon. & also play some tether ball toys in the backyard to top it off. My other idea is to make a vest for him. This vest would have a solid cover on the outside with compartments to hold ice packs, & have a thin breathable layer on the inside. If done right i am hoping this could help keep him cool so that we could still get him exercise during the hot daytime. This is just an idea, I understand this may not work
2)I would not leave him home very often, & when i do it would probably never be longer than a few hours. I am just worried about separation anxiety, & i know they can howl & become destructive under such circumstances. Wondering what the best way to go about this. Crate training from a young age possibly? My second idea is to get a companion pet order so that i can take him with me for the times i go shopping. My ultimate goal is to have him well trained so that i can take him anywhere. This is a potential option but ideally it would be nice to be able to leave him home instead without any problems.

I am open to any thoughts and suggestions. I know i have some obstacles to work around, but this is something i want more than anything so i would love to find a way to make this all possible. Thank you for reading
Huskeys are great dogs but they need someone to know what they are doing since they can be stubborn. It is possibe to train them well tough if you have the experience, willpower and time. I have seen a Huskey behaving like a police dog when it was walking around in town without a leash with 100% attention toward the owner.

About the heat, you could trim the fur down and get a small plastic pool for him/her to relax in during the summers.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2017, 08:39 AM
large dog/ small trailer not the ideal by any means. I think you are asking for a lot of problems, large dogs need room indoors as well as outside.