Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DaDoggy1
New Member!
Female 

26-11-2014, 02:21 AM

Breeding protocol question

Hello,
I am curious as to the financial protocol for breeding in the UK. I am in the US and generally the stud fee is paid by the bitch's owner, usually with a clause to allow a second breeding free of charge if the first does not take or the resulting litter is a singleton. Or if the stud service is provided free of charge, the stud owner will contractually ask for a pick puppy back, again assuming the litter consists of more than one pup.
I was approached by someone who wanted to barter my stud dog's services for a pick puppy back, but then was expecting me to incur the cost of whelping the litter, including the insemination. I thought this was irregular and would like your opinions please.

Has anyone in the US or UK provided a stud service for a puppy back and paid the whelping costs as well?
Thanks very much,
DaDoggy1
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Usually the methods are
paying stud fees only
choice of puppy in place of stud fees .
a combination of either
A partnership in a puppy plus reduced stud fee
No resulting puppies from the mating usually a free stud fee next time

Then there is the question of an unproven stud dog. In that case there might even be a free stud just to prove the stud dog can sire.

One thing is what happens if there is just a single puppy born? these are things that need to be agreed on at the outset.

Another is to get the agreement in writing first not rely on promises, then there can be no " you said this or you were going to" issues

But it depends of individual agreements between both parties. There is no hard and fast rules saying one must do this or one must do that. Maybe the stud dog owner is already in partnership with the breeder and have an existing agreement.

Paying for the whelping costs is generally down to the breeder but as I said it depends on what has been agreed between both parties.

That is in the UK
Hope this answers your question
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Are you saying the person wanted to use your dog, but was expecting you to take responsibility for the whelping, as in take the bitch to your place, be there through the birthing process, and cover the veterinary, food, and other costs of raising the pups? Or are you referring only to the costs of AI (which can be pretty high for surgical implant of frozen semen)? Or both.

I'd say the party that does the work and picks up the tabs for doing so gets the whole litter, less one puppy if there is a 'pick of the litter' arrangement. If I owned a stud dog, wouldn't do business with someone who expected me to pick up costs for whelping and/or AI in exchange for "pick".

My experiences have mostly been with Australian dog breeders, but I would be surprised if concepts of fair and normal arrangements vary greatly. Ozzies do a lot of AI using frozen semen for the UK and elsewhere in Europe. This gets very pricey. The owner of the bitch always picks up all the costs, including some amount for collection and storage of semen, transport, import fees, and insemination. . . on top of the stud fee.