Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Whippets-what are they like?

I've been quite interested in Whippets for a while, was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of them..i.e what are they like to live with?
What are they like with other dogs, cats?
And what kind of exercise requirements do they need?
Also, would you if in the hypothetical situation of searching for a whippet pup go to a show breeder, or a working whippet breeder? Is there any difference?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a friend with one. She's very timid, not really one to interact and play with other dogs, likes to do her own thing.

Exercise wise, a short run a few times a day, she doesn't really like the long haul and you knwo when she wants to go home. Does like a good chase though.

Not generally good with cats but I guess how you bring them up.

Bear in mind that is just going on one whippet but this lady has had several.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 09:10 PM
My parents owned a whippet when we were growin up Luke
I have a pic somewhere ill hunt it out ,
He was an amazing dog , i walked him three times a day for about an hour but he was also run on a field , and he seemed quite happy once he had a good bolt around,
We also had cats and he got on famously with them , But he did grow up with them ,although for obvious reasons he disliked our rabbits
He always got on well with other dogs ,
Cant offer advice on the breeder side of things though sorry , but they are an amazing dog with great temprements around kids and other animals well our Brandy was anyway xxdk
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
They never seem to be "puppies" always serious grown up dogs. I like them, wouldnt want one though, Id go for the bigger option if I was going to have a sight hound. Can be very timid.
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2007, 03:44 AM
I agree Borderdawn. I have experience with whippets from a young child (rescue)and have recently walked one since it was a puppy. They are dogs in puppy bodies.
They seem born mature, yet at 8 months to a year seem to go through a teenage stage later than any other breed I have had.

They do not reach sexual maturity till 18months but by then they are usually very randy (one of the randiest breeds I walk!!)

They need a firm hand as can be very stubburn.
Dont really care much about pleasing you, but will work for a toy or tasty treat.

They only need about an hour a day, but can go for up to 3 if necessary.

They are very very fast so discipling them off lead is very difficult- they will not come back if they know they are in trouble

Cats are fine as long as brought up with them, but the need to chase things is very obvious if the cat runs away.

I dont know anything about the breed lines I am afraid, but you should maybe try a UK Whippet club association for further advise.

Hope that helps

p.s, they are great at agility!!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 08:33 AM
my nan had a whippet and a fried at my sons school has got one she has had hers for 2yrs now since a pup and is so laid back loves her cats had no problems with him at all, same goes for my nan had 2-3 walks aday loved palying games and very easy to handle.