Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 04:47 PM

porch roof

has anybody ever built their own porch roof??if so was it hard??
we had a porch built several years ago and the guy did a real bad job,the porch roof is smaller than the porch(he built porch around the exisiting roof) it hasn't been to bad until recently but it has started letting in water really badly,the roof itself is fine but it has gaps all around it and this is where the water comes in we have just had a chap out to quote for a new roof and he said he would build around the exisiting roof and clad it all inside,he has just rang my mum and quoted £750 and that is just for a sloping roofit isn't a huge porch either,probably 6ft by 3ft max i think it shouldn't be too hard to do it ourselves(i am very good with things like that)does anyone have any experience of roofs??
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 06:06 PM
If you are good with wood you can make a roof, honestly not too hard at all, my dad did one for an out house, tiled and everything he used a DIY manual, try searching the web for a step by step guide then you will know if you are up to doing it
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Tried a search myself only came up with books, although I can suggest a really good manual "Collins complete DIY" available at tesco for £12.97, just checked it has it in there and it does, hope this helps
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I used to be a roofer so yes i know!

Basically,a tiled pitched roof is about twice the price of a conventional flat roof (depending on tile type) so this is where the £750 comes from.It isnt labour intensive and should take 2 blokes 1 day so the price you were quoted is about right.

The job however is not out of reach of an experienced DIY'er,but neither is it straight forward.If you want any tips-let me know and i'll help you out as best i can!

Quick tip though if rebuilding the roof is not an option:If the gap is quite big between the top of brickwork and roof-hire a couple of acro props and gently wind them out a little so they take the weight of the roof off the walls.Then you can mortar a course of bricks to fill the gap and then pump silicone sealant onto new course of brick to weather proof the joint between roof & wall.The best way though is to incorporate a fascia board to the roof as this conceals & weather proofs everything,but would need the felt or single ply membrane replacing.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 08:32 PM
thanks both well my daft parents have agreed to have it done i was quite looking forward to bossing my dad about too i am now going to be chief coffee maker
zuba,thanks for the info on the book and i think i will buy one as they are always handy to have