Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Weight loss drug for dogs

This is courtesy of AOL

The world's first weight-loss drug for dogs has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Slentrol, made by the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, is intended to significantly reduce the appetite and increase fat absorption in canines.

The FDA's head of veterinary medicine said the drug was a welcome addition to animal therapies because of an apparent increase in dog obesity in the US.

Americans own 65 million dogs and almost 40 per cent of US households have one.

According to the FDA, veterinarians generally define a dog that weighs 20 per cent more than its ideal weight as obese.

Slentrol is expected to be available in the spring and should cost between 50p and £1 a day, a Pfizer company spokeswoman said.
Opinions very welcome
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 05:45 PM
How sad, if people fed and exercised their dogs properly they wouldnt be fat. This is the lazy mans way out.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Why on earth do you need a pill , all it takes is less food , and more exersice.

Can I have it instead, should take my own advice.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 07:47 PM
well what can i say so whos to say the people get there dog slim again by using this drug + then carry on the same not enough exercise + or loads of food then they could just end up going round in circles i think they would be better off spending there money on dog fat camps to help the dog + teach the owners rather than a quick fix that doesnt always work + can end up doing more harm than good
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2007, 07:49 PM
So i presume that Pfizer think that dogs would benefit greatly from their drug rather than the logical obvious more excercise and less food! :smt002
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I agree with all the above, reduce the food increase the excercise: the owner may loose weight as well, all the obese dogs that go to my vets have obese owners.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I read about this on the news sites last night

Apparantly this new pill is killing dogs
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm still finding it difficult to get my head round this one I keep reading it and it's making me more and more annoyed

I can see however the lazy bstards of this world putting their dogs on this drug. As Teeny has pointed out, it's killing dogs

The dogs and their owners can come to me. A few trips round our field should start getting the fat off both dogs and owners!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
So i presume that Pfizer think that dogs would benefit greatly from their drug
The only pounds Pfizer will be seeing Steve is the one's that line their pockets
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:17 PM
For goodness sake

If people exercised their dogs and fed them properly there wouldn't be such an issue with over weight dogs and certainly no need for a weight loss drug.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >