Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Spaying aftercare

Hi

My 3 yr old retired greyhound was spayed on Friday , she seems absolutley fine apart from the odd yelp on moving like jumping off the sofa. I have been advised to use sudocrem on the wound and no running for 6 weeks. Just thought I would ask if anyone else has any good advice or things to look out for that they picked up whilst looking after their doggies following this procedure

Many Thanks
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I had my ex racer Holly spayed a few months ago. I didn't put anything on her wound. If I was you I'd leave it alone unless it starts to look red. If it looks red, take her to the vet nurse to have a look as it may be infected.
Holly's healed really well. Just make sure Bella doesn't lick it. If she does she'll need to wear a collar! Holly didn't so much as look at hers.
As you've aleady said...lead walks only for a few weeks.
The odd yelp is to be expected I guess. If it was me I'd be moaning and groaning with as many painkillers as I was allowed!!
They're amazing really and pick up really quickly. It's trying to stop them running around that's the hard bit!!
Hope she's feeling back to normal soon.
Big hugs for Bella xxx
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks Zoe , thats appreciated, yes I would be full of painkillers too ! I will just keep an eye on the wound then , its fine right now and she doesnt seem to be bothered by it, got two of them with wounds at the mo so I am being a bit vigilant to prevent infections , I have had enough of the vets for a while and I sure they have too !