Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Sensitive Puppy Food Recommendations?

My friend has a puppy Mini Schnauzer, he is 12 weeks old and has always had a sensitive tummy.

He has been thoroughly vet checked and stool samples are all negative. He's been on canned bland food the vet recommended until now and has been moved over to Lily's Kitchen puppy food gradually as advised.

However, today he has vomited several times and it seems he can't tolerate the kibble so she is going to give him chicken and rice for a few days.

He was raised on 'Natural Instinct' raw food. However, my friend cannot use a raw diet as he goes to doggy day care when she is in work.

I have had a look and found the brand 'Simpsons' who do puppy sensitive kibble and was wondering if anyone had used this and if so how did you find it?

I have fed James Wellbeloved and Arden Grange in the past, however, my late collie had to be raw fed (not from a branded raw company, we did it ourselves) as he had to have surgery due to being unable to digest kibble. As puppy isn't in pain or unwell in any other way she would prefer to try and safely find a kibble brand that he can tolerate because of the dog creche.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2020, 05:31 PM
If he was ok on the canned food, is there any reason he can't stay on that?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2020, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If he was ok on the canned food, is there any reason he can't stay on that?
It is a bland canned vet one specifically for GI problems - essentially a fancy version of chicken and rice, so probably not ideal long term for a growing puppy. I suppose worst case scenario he might be able to
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Try Fergusosns Salmon and Potato from www.fergusonspetsupplies.co.uk or vets kitchen salmon and potato I am sure either company will send a sample. My dog had a sensitive tum to anything chicken and rice so salmon and potato suited him.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2020, 01:03 PM
I agree with Brenda.

My little girl was a mess when we first got her at 7 weeks. It took a while to work out, but she is highly allergic to chicken. We changed to Wafcol salmon and potato and problem solved