Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by WinstonZ View Post
My last pup was toilet trained in one day. The problem with using crates is that once they are out of the crate they poop, right in your kitchen or living room. Now if you do not use a crate in the first place, then the dog learns that outside the home is where to poop as the home becomes the den. People who use cages teach the dog that the cage is home and everything outside the cage is poopdom.
Well done and well done your dog. Many are not so lucky .

Actually they don't. Once they are used to holding on through the night, it sticks.

The home is a big den. The coffee table, chair, cage is their small safe place within their den.

Of course, everyone has an opinion and no one is forced to use an option they don't like. What I don't like are debates like these taking place on a thread where someone has asked for help. No doubt, the original poster will have been put off from coming back for more help because they don't want to cause more arguments.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2018, 09:31 AM
So you are actually saying that if I bought a crate and left it on the floor near my bed that my dogs would choose to sleep in the cage and not sleep on the warm soft bed, head sometimes on my pillow and sometimes covered with my blanket?

Seriously you do not know any better and neither do your dogs. Let me educate you, dogs get arthritis from sleeping in cold hard crates where they can not move properly. In fact the only place I know that crates are used is on puppy farms.
Well firstly people who choose to use crates don't just put a bare crate down and expect the dog to move in, although some might. Most would make the crate inviting by placing a comfy bed in the crate and by covering the crate to make it den like. Most dogs would then investigate the crate and some would choose to move in and claim it for themselves immediately, some would get acquainted with it over a period of time but yes lots of dogs love their crates and choose them over other places to sleep. I can't see why that's so hard to believe.
Oh and don't ask Besoaker what I would do with a horse, how would he know. For the record,I don't own a horse, never have and never will but can't see that being kept in a stable with the odd walk or ride is so different in all honesty.

You know nothing of me or my dogs so please don't judge, my dogs as I've previously stated in this thread choose their own sleeping places whether that be the sofa, my bed, their bed or a bed in a crate or the tiles in the kitchen it's their choice. i think it's you who has no knowledge of how crates are used generally in this country, so educate yourself before slagging off what others quite reasonably do. Then feel free to pass comment.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Wild animals are actually not put in crates typically, they used to but old fashioned zoos with cages are for the most part gone. Typically wild animals get a natural setting to roam in, yet the people here actually brag and encourage putting dogs in cages...............

It's sad, more for people who should know better but choose to cage their property.

It's a life, and no life should be caged, certainly not your best friend
Yes, quite.
I think the means/method of containment depends on the type and species whether domestic or otherwise. For example, would you let a budgerigar complete freedom. Or a guinea pig? A cat? They are often quite independent.
How about a rabbit? We had one that used to roam around the house and garden and even used the same cat flap - just not quite as elegantly as the slinky cat.

But back to the OP's problem. If the dog is confined to that cage and needs to poo it doesn't need a IQ of over 140 to wok out where it will poo. Or even where it can poo.
Carole
Supervisor

07-03-2018, 05:11 PM
*some posts have been removed*
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well firstly people who choose to use crates don't just put a bare crate down and expect the dog to move in, although some might.
I didn't. I told you that he got his favourite blanket, toys, treats - we wanted him to be comfortable with it for the long flight he would have to endure.
Obviously we failed to "properly" train him.
What would you have done differently?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I didn't. I told you that he got his favourite blanket, toys, treats - we wanted him to be comfortable with it for the long flight he would have to endure.
Obviously we failed to "properly" train him.
What would you have done differently?
We've had the same conversation before where I pointed you towards an article written by Shadowboxer that explained the proper use of a crate and how to train a pup to use one. I refrained from writing a lengthy explanation myself as I don't actually believe you have any interest in learning and would dismiss out of hand anything I had to say. So a third party who wouldn't be able to respond might be more beneficial.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2018, 06:58 PM
We've had the same conversation before where I pointed you towards an article written by Shadowboxer that explained the proper use of a crate and how to train a pup to use one. I refrained from writing a lengthy explanation myself as I don't actually believe you have any interest in learning and would dismiss out of hand anything I had to say. So a third party who wouldn't be able to respond might be more beneficial.
OK. Cite the article.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Don't order me about, go and click on Articles and find it for yourself.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Don't order me about, go and click on Articles and find it for yourself.
OK. Care to kindly cite the article?
I will take on board what it says. That seem fair?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
OK. Care to kindly cite the article?
I will take on board what it says. That seem fair?
Jeez it's not hard to find.... click on dog articles (next to new posts)

Read down the list and it's about the 5th one down.

crate training by Shadowboxer
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >