Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I saw him pick it up with the tail too!
Kind of shocked!

Some of the people who were showing made me laugh, as they had no co-ordination when running! lol
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Ive seen people with big terriers do this does it hurt do you think?
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-03-2005, 11:18 PM
If i tried to pick my dogs up by the tail I'd expect to lose an Arm
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 11:19 PM
i think maxs tail would come off before he came off the floor
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I've seen other terrier handlers do this too, but never any other breed handler, why is this so??
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

15-03-2005, 09:23 AM
I think terrier handlers do this because terriers used to be pulled out of the ground by their tail ? ( not sure if this is the reason)

but I don't think it should be done - it looked really bad on the tv
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
i think i must have cringed thru the whole thing,lol. the holding the dogs head up high by lifting up the collar till it looks like its strangling the dog, the bending the tails over, repositioning the feet every 5 seconds, picking the dog up by its tail...
Terriers are strung up and while it might look like they are strangling the dog they are not it is something that they have to do show the dog correctly. Bending there trail over is again is some thing that they have to do for a certain reason depending on the breed, and it doesn’t hurt the dog. Repositioning the feet every five seconds is just something you do if they are in the wrong place. I don’t see what the problem is, it doesn’t hurt the dog.
I don’t like it being done but not all terrier handlers pick the dog up by the tail. If you tried to pick my dogs up like that they would just sit down and not do anything! Mined you, you would need to be strong to pick wheatens up like that!!!
Most people do it because if you have a table dog if you pick them up by the tail they stretch there legs out. This helps to put there feet in the right position. I don’t think that you need to do it but the dog isn’t in pain as they are too light. It is only
some people who show the smaller terriers do. You can’t say that it is a terrier thing!
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 06:03 PM
I must say, much that I don't like to see it, I've never seen a dog getting stressed or looking in pain by getting picked up by the tail
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2