Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Sick puppy

Chip, 11 weeks, was fine this afternoon. He's been eating and poohing normally all day. He was left for an hour this evening but when came back and let him out of his crate he had diarrhoea and was very sick. He's asked out a few times and is now looking subdued and hiccuping. He's drinking but definitely not himself.
Any suggestions about how best to treat him. I don't see how he could have eaten anything he shouldn't but he does like to pick up little stones and bits of twigs etc.
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:06 PM
it could be the result of anxiety while you were away. keep an eye on it and if he's no better tomorrow i'd take him to the vets.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Chip, 11 weeks, was fine this afternoon. He's been eating and poohing normally all day. He was left for an hour this evening but when came back and let him out of his crate he had diarrhoea and was very sick. He's asked out a few times and is now looking subdued and hiccuping. He's drinking but definitely not himself.
Any suggestions about how best to treat him. I don't see how he could have eaten anything he shouldn't but he does like to pick up little stones and bits of twigs etc.
Hi Dalesmum small puppies can easily pick up infections and they do eat a lot of rubbish. If Chip has been ok all day I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage.

Make sure he is nice and warm and see how he is in the morning, if he is ok I would give him a bland diet for a couple of days to settle his tummy, white rice and fish or chicken given in 4 small meals then gradually reintroduce his normal food. I would make sure he has fresh water but I wouldn't let him gulp a lot down in one go or it may come back up, Small amounts at a time then refill the dish is best.

If you are concerned at any time, or the sickness continues longer that 24 hours I would see the vet because puppies can deteriorate very quckly.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
oh I hope he feels better soon xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Hope there is some inprovement soon, however if it were me I'd pop him along to the vets, just to be on the safe side if he hasn't improved by later today.
Good luck, keep us posted xxxxxxxxxxxxxx hugs x
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh bless him hope he feels better soon, keep an eye on him and if you are still concerned in the morning pop him to the vet.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 06:10 AM
How is he?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 06:10 AM
How's the little chap this morning honey?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Well I really wasn't happy. He was sick but wanting to play at 10pm but by 11.30pm had lost interest in everything and was even bring up water. He was getting cold and obviously not well.

The vets were great. I must say I do wish they took on human patients She saw Chip sometime after midnight, gave him an antibiotic and is seeing him again this morning.

However he's woken up his usual cheeky self, wondering why he's not getting a proper meal

Now any cures for sleep deprived owners?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 06:36 AM
I always think with a young pup it is best to err on the side of caution and think you did entirely the right thing taking him to the vets. They can get so poorly so quickly which is always such a worry at night when you are leaving them to sleep isn't it?
I am so glad he's feeling more like himself this morning. Hope it continues. TRy and get some shut eye on the sofa when he has a puppy snooze later. Other then that...lots of coffee...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >