View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
The minute people see a dog that isnt 'perfect' they are seemingly happy to encourage punishment for some reason. I was training my dog as a pup (well bit of a teenager at the time) and this guy was round the corner on the other side of the street with his dog. My dog was getting distracted by them and I was trying to calm him a bit before carrying on, he then tells me how 'back then' you would just put a choke chain on and give them a good yank and they would settle/stop, after chatting a while it turns out his female was in season

Should I really have been expected to 'punish' him?

Is there anyone else that finds people are quick to jump in and tell you how a dog needs 'a good yank' etc to learn how to behave? Look at you strangely when you speak/encourage/praise/distract them in the street?

Edit; also had someone tell me if they ever jump up you punch them....that my dog is big there is no way I can handle him....come to think of it its usually shorter men....
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 11:44 PM
I see no need for them, I would never use one.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I know a lot of people who use them with success. However I tend not to utilise them much as

A, they are a pain to fit/teach the owner to fit.

B, there are more effective alternatives.

Adam
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I used them in the past and would use them again.

People who can't use them correctly shouldn't but isn't that like anything. I once saw someone use it on a boxer that pulled till his passed out.
ATD x
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Im saying no, but how far do you go to say what is acceptable to use in training a dog and what isnt?

I dont like chokers, and I also dont like headcollars (see far too many badly fitting, causing pain/discomfort) ditto, flat collars cause a set of problems on their own (dogs pulling down the road on a normal collar is a regular sight around here!)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Im saying no, but how far do you go to say what is acceptable to use in training a dog and what isnt?

I dont like chokers, and I also dont like headcollars (see far too many badly fitting, causing pain/discomfort) ditto, flat collars cause a set of problems on their own (dogs pulling down the road on a normal collar is a regular sight around here!)
so u think a heavy metal chain (or maybe even worse a thin one)is on par with a headcollar?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
so u think a heavy metal chain (or maybe even worse a thin one)is on par with a headcollar?
when badly fitted/incorrectly used, yes. they are both as bad as each other. I dont like either of them (personally)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I used them in the past and would use them again.

People who can't use them correctly shouldn't but isn't that like anything. I once saw someone use it on a boxer that pulled till his passed out.
ATD x
along with smacking?
why do you go down this route with your dogs?
(i am interested to know thats all,not wanting to start an argument or offend you )
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I have used a choke chain in the past - but wouldn't ever see the need to use one now. I don't like Joe Public being able to buy them without any instruction on their use, so would prefer to see only people trained in their use to be able to purchase them - although, I don't really see the need to use them tbh.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
along with smacking?
why do you go down this route with your dogs?
(i am interested to know thats all,not wanting to start an argument or offend you )
I have used them ondogs that are able to get out of anything harness collar halti you name it they could get out of it. So the safest way to walk them was in a chain/ rope if they backed it tightened.

My grandma use to smack get dog with a rolled up newspaper never hard enough to hurt the animal but that is how I was brought up around dogs. I don't think smacking us cruel but then again I am not beating the living daylights out of them which some people may get the image if when j say I hit them. The pup for example doesn't but or nip he bit he got a tap on the nose. Doesn't hurt him but he learned quicker than me shouting no like my friend does with her pup who at the same age is still drawing blood with her nips. Each to their own And I don't get offended when people question my methods. You find what works for you and some people always say you dogs must be hand shy honestly they aren't I can wave my hands around an they don't bat an eyelid
ATD x
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »