Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Violent Dreams - is it normal?

Hi guys, im just after a bit of advise really.

Im really concerned about my OH, he has very vivid, brutel, horrific even, nightmares in which he always ends up murdering someone he suspects im cheating on him with. I think it freaks him out and upsets him that he has these dreams.

He only has them about twice a year, but I find it really odd and cant accept this is normal behaviour. Can someone please set my mind at ease?

(By the way I am NOT cheating on my OH, or ever will)
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not a Psychologist but if your really not happy could you persuade him to go and see the doctor. Dreams do mean things, but they don't tend to mean exactly what you've dreamt, more underlying feelings coming out in this way. If it affecting you both then I would go and speak to someone to find out where these feelings are coming from. It's like if you dream about death it has the opposite meaning most of the time ie, new beginnings, a new chapter in your life etc or it can mean you have suffered a loss in your life but not necessarily a death of a person or loved one. Hope I'm making some sense here.
Dreams also can get twisted up with things you've read or something you've watch and get twisted up with your own life/feelings.
It is awful when you have strong dreams, mostly for the person that is having them. I have them now and again and it can shake me up for days, even though I know it is not real. If it is upsetting you both and you can't sort it between you then i would go and speak to a professional.
Hope all goes well
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Dreams usually show your emotion and previous days activities in another format.

Maybe these dreams occur when perhaps your OH is angry or frustrated and hasnt seemed to worked these issues out. It is also probable that he has watched a film/tv program or even read about a murder and then unwillingly repeats the "story" in his dreams.

There are many reasons as to why this can happen. After a stress full day many people will perhaps think about "harming" the person that has made them feel that way....Of course you would never actually do it...but these thoughts can stay in your head and be repeated while your asleep.....you just dont remember it In fact you dream quite alot and dont remember ALOT of it!!! Ever woken up crying your eyes out and end up laughing because you dont know why?

If your OH is worried seek help from a professional but IMO it seems to be perfectly normal, unfortunatly your OH is just unlucky as he remembers them.
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:25 PM
dreams of this nature could mean that he is under stress of some kind, anxious maybe. im no expert, but if there is problems it could be something simple like work then he needs to address them. could be he is just insucure and needs a big hug and a night out for dinner.