Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Fed Up With My Computer

For the last three months I have been having problems with my computer. Firstly the PSU went and we had another fitted. A month after that the hard drive went and we had another fitted. A month after that the mouse has disappeard. We have bought another mouse, still not working. When you click to turn off the screen goes off, but the computer is still running and we have to turn it off manually. At the moment I am having to use buttons to move around the screen which takes forever. I can read things on Dogsey but cant reply, I am at the moment in the local library writing this thread. My brother inlaw suggested reloading windows as there may be a corrupt file, but when I switch on the computer it seems to miss a page that gives me the option to boot using the windows CD so I cant even reload windows. I have just about had enough now and I am seriously thinking of buying a new tower, after all the effort of repairing all the faults we have had.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi katie, what OS are you using, how is your mouse connected, USB or PS2, ditto, how is your keyboard connected.

Also perleease, to all PC probs enquiries from other members, quote your OS and system setups so we can help giving advice, it saves a lot of replies if you give the info,
dejavu
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Hello Katiecoos, sorry to hear about your pc problems,
not sure if someone built your pc for you or you bought it from a shop, but either way ,your componants that needed replaced should be covered by a warranty. Up to 5 years for a hard drive, and at least a year for everything else..

When you start your computer press the delete key on your keyboard repeatedly until you see your bios screen( you can press the tab key also to clear the startup screen of any branding that loads too). When in your bios page you will have to select the first boot device (cd/dvd) save changes then exit...When your pc starts again you will have the option to boot from cd (press any key when you see this) then windows will check your HDD and then display a list of operating systems and or partitions on your HDD, you really want to delete any os's and partitions rather than install over them or create new ones beside them. There are options to delete any os's and/or partitions at the bottom of the screen (usually Ctrl L to delete) once these are deleted you have to format the drive (dont use the quick format option) it will take a little while to complete but windows should start to install automatically after that....All that should go smoothly providing your HDD is healthy and does not have any bad sectors on it(physical corruption)..
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2007, 12:17 PM
My Operating system is Windows XP home edition. My mouse is PS2 and so is my keyboard. The computer was bought about 5 or 6 years ago and has only been a problem the last 3 to 4 months. My brother inlaw always tells me never to go and buy another computer until you have tried to fix it yourself, which we have done recently, but cant seem to fix this latest mouse problem.
dejavu
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi again, I'm not suprised your HDD & PSU has just needed replaced. Thats good mileage for a 6 year old computer..

Your ps/2 port could be malfunctioning/damaged not to mention lots more possible causes. I would suggest trying a ps/2 to USB adaptor for both your mouse and keyboard ..

Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks so much for your advice, that may be the answer to my problems, we shall see, keep fingers crossed.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos View Post
Thanks so much for your advice, that may be the answer to my problems, we shall see, keep fingers crossed.
The connectors are called Gender Changers, PLEASE, no silly remarks,
You can get them idividually for mouse and k/board.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Went to PC World this afternoon, could not get the Gender changer lol, but bought a PSU mouse instead. I am glad to say that it is working fine. All I have to do now is sort out the other problem with the PC not switching off when I click turn off.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2007, 05:55 PM
You might want to try your power option settings found in your control panel.......click on the advanced tab and near the bottom see it the option has changed.
dejavu
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos View Post
Went to PC World this afternoon, could not get the Gender changer lol, but bought a PSU mouse instead. I am glad to say that it is working fine. All I have to do now is sort out the other problem with the PC not switching off when I click turn off.
Hi, glad you have a working mouse now..The hanging issue you have when you select to shut down your pc can be caused by many differant things..You should make sure you have the latest updates from windows, and make sure you have the latest drivers and BIOS for your motherboard.

Also, try disabling unnecessary startup programs (select run from your start menu and type "msconfig.exe" then go to the startup tab and uncheck the programs you dont need that are running...(dont uncheck your anti-virus software, )Make sure you know the function of any application you disable. If unsure , google the startup process (usually ends with .exe) if there is a checkmark next to process that has nothing written next to it then disable it, its likely to be spyware or a virus. Just click apply and restart

You could also press alt-ctrl-delete keys simultaenously to get into task manager and again end processes that are hogging resources..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >