Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:37 AM

Trick Training Challenge Wk 7!

Blimey! Can't believe I started this 7 weeks ago!
Any old ways, this weeks challenge is walking backwards. This can be away from you if just starting out or towards you if your dog has cracked it away from you!
I'm hoping for a success this week!
Becky
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Hmmm this will be an interesting one! I will give it a go but can't see Monty grasping this one at all!
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:45 AM
There is several different ways to teach this:-
1. Have the dog stand in front of you and walk into the dog, if the dog takes a step back, c/t.
2. Build a channel, narrower at 1 end (narrow enough so the dog can't get out that end and the dog can't turn around in the channel), lead the dog down the channel from the wider end to the narrower end with you on the outside, so the only way out is for the dog to walk backwards away from you, c/t as the dog walks back.
3. Stand leaning up against a wall with your legs slightly apart, put a bit of food between your legs slightly behind you (freebie), the dog goes to get the food, then they should step back to look back up at you, as they step back, click and put the food back between your feet.

Good luck.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I use the word 'verse' for this.
Here's a vid of Skye doing this at 8 months old, I didn't have my clicker, so used my marker word 'click', notice I marked the behaviour as she was still walking back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHxJVQRO1YE
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:52 AM
If your dog already is walking back with you walking into them (if you trained using 1 above), try getting them to walk a few steps back with you standing still. If they walk back with you standing still, do they walk back away from you if you are walking back the other direction? Do they walk back away from you if your back is to them?
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Also, it helps if they are doing it at a distance from you for the treat or toy to be thrown behind them as the reward to stop them coming forward for it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Great tips there thanks! I'm hoping mine will do this quite well.
Becky
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Mine love this game....they have no concept that they might go back into things

I use 'Walk' as one command (going away from me) and 'Backwards' when they are coming towards me and going through my legs. Siren has learnt this close by but not from a distance.....yet!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 10:48 PM
cool, ben loves this one, zooms backwards with no regard for personal saftey, might try and get him to turn then back thru my legs

havent tried this with mia yet so will be interesting
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Terra is the guinea pig for this one this week. She walks back and as I click she jumps up Got to try and get that click in a lot quicker!
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >