Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-06-2017, 02:13 AM

Calling out Tumbleweed and a few others

Well trying to decide on a new camera. Carole said Tumbleweed was the person to talk with on this, figured I'd asked and see who else has good ideas on a decent camera, for family and dog shots.

Last stunk for live action shots and did not do well with indoor lighting. (Some of this most likely had to do with me not being a camera person).

Also battery life is a concern.

Prior was a sony mirrorless, forget model but was on the cheap end.

So it died and figured I'd get something decent.

When I went looking, past finding out you could buy a house for what some people spend on there cameras and gear for it, was the Cannon EOS 7D Mark II roughly 1900 USD.

Then manage to get with a friend who was away and he told me basically to much camera and way more than I need.

He lent me his a Cannon EOS Rebel T6, and his and another in another forum have said it or a T6i, T6i has a bit higher res. He's actually a professional photographer and commercial artist, (Ya no way in the world I'm spending what he spends on his work gear).

So after the last few days I have learn cameras do make a he difference and I know next to nothing about taking photo's.

After a couple YouTube video's and a couple hours of reading(Still lost on 80% of it) but impressed with battery life span and the quality of live action shots.

Also the T6 is 599 vs 1900 and T6i 699ish.

Few pics from the friends T6

tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Hi LMost

you are asking about which camera to get. Huge question with hundreds of answers, but I can possible point you in the right direction

So the first thing is to know your budget , that should allow for memory card purchase as well.

There are different types of digital cameras such as Compacts -mirrorless and DSLR ( digital single lens reflex) so you should really decide on that first

The canon you refer to is a DSLR camera so I will presume that is what you are thinking about, one where you can change lenses.

OK which make is the next question ?"gulp" . Some will swear by Canon others by Nikon (the two most popular makes ) and others by other makes. only you can decide on that.

So what to choose and what to look for.
Here again is the dilemma, do you go for a full frame camera or a crop frame camera that has a smaller sensor.
I would recommend a full frame camera as it give a wider picture, a crop frame camera usually works with multiplying the mm lens distance by times1.4 or 1.5 . That means a lens say of 50 mm is not producing a 50mm shot but one of actually around 70mm . full frame camera 50mm produces a 50mm shot. Bit technical I know but you have asked.

So back to the original question which camera?

OK decided on budget and either a CF or FF camera what next?

How comfortable is it to hold and ease of use, best advice is to go into a camera shop and see which is best for you.

What to be aware of is the number of mega pixels (mp) the camera uses.
that is the more the better as the higher the number the more on the sensors so more definition in the photo is the best way to explain. So a 24MP camera is now the usually accepted one to go for but there are some with more and usually more expensive as well.

if you start comparing specifications with say looking at more than three you may be considering,you will only get confused so pick out three and choose from there.

Couple of other things to be looking at:- spare battery,
memory cards, here a lot of mistakes are made in getting the wrong one, apart from loads of fakes on auction sites, so get from a main dealer until you find your way around
So many people just look at memory card size and not ignore the transfer rate also printed on the card indicated by MB/s. This i think is more important and just size alone so anything from 60 MB/s upwards is what to look for.

OK why? good question. What can happen with a slow memory card is if doing a burst of several shots at once the camera can "stall" while the card catches up with the transfer from camera to card an you will miss that vital shot.

Which lens to go for? here you have to consider budget as the prices can get very expensive. So I use a 24-70mm lens which gives a good working range to cover most things and I would suggest getting something around that.

There is a lens for everything from micro work to far distant Also the speed the lens can focus say from f2.8 expensive to f4.5-5.6 cheaper but slower. not exactly correct as it is a bit more technical but easier to understand at this stage, really it is down to amount of light let through the lens etc etc.

Getting a bit of a mine field by now isn't it.

So summing up
price-make -memory card-lens is what to concentrate on mainly all to be within your budget.

Hope this helps but do come back for more info if you need it
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Thanks Tumbleweed.

Looked it up and the t6 is 18mp and the t6i is 24.2mp

7d markII must have some options I'm missing as it is 2.5 the price of the T6i and only 20mp.

Still debating a bit though as I do like the t6 for the feel and I can actually get one on sale currently, though do want the res of the t6i.

Budget normally is not a big factor, but starting on fending the end of the month and not sure what the total bill on that will be yet, figuring in the 4 to 7 thousand range for the fencing I want, equipment rental and price to get a couple trees cleared not sure of yet.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2017, 05:38 PM
FWIW I got a Canon EOS 1200D
The kit came with a standard 18mm to 55mm lens and a 75mm to 300mm. For about £300 I thought it was a reasonable deal.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2017, 06:37 PM
I see besoeker that the canon1200d is no longer in production
The nearest is the 1300d with that kit lens costs new £309 and the cheapest version of that other lens is nearly £400. making a total of just over £700.
All i can presume you either bought them a long time ago or got them as second hand.

Lmost

link
http://www.imaging-resource.com/came.../vs/canon/t6i/

What I would look at is frames per second (fps) in RAW and Jpeg mode
Buffer size , that is how many pictures the camera can hold before it stops shooting and the memory card catches up. See previous post of mine.
The faster shutter speed I fine is a huge advantage as you can "freeze" a shot without blur.

attery life helps but you can and should always have at least 1 spare battery
havnig a higher ISO usually means you grain in the shot usually called "noise" in camera terms.
The difference in megapixels you would not see any difference in real life, except if you zoomed in to the nth degree and then with a magnifying glass you may just see the difference, so I would not worry about that
I don't like swivel screens as they can easily get knocked but they are good only for low ground up arms upstretched shots.

having had a quick look at the spec those are the main but important differences
My managress when we had our own business had/ has the 7D and out of the two depending on finances that is what i would personally go for if I wasn't a Nikon Owner
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
I see besoeker that the canon1200d is no longer in production
The nearest is the 1300d with that kit lens costs new £309 and the cheapest version of that other lens is nearly £400. making a total of just over £700.
All i can presume you either bought them a long time ago or got them as second hand.
I got it new about two years ago. Maybe it was a deal because it was going out of production.

Does what I wanted it for......