Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I always have a small slip lead in my coat just in case, also good for strays!

But some people might try it!
I always carry a headcollar in my car ... just in case I come across a stray horse ! And when I did, the damn thing didn't fit !!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I always carry a headcollar in my car ... just in case I come across a stray horse ! And when I did, the damn thing didn't fit !!
Typical!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:10 PM
I will have to remember to mention this for when I get ribbed for always having a spare lead in my pocket!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Those noose leads arean absolute godsend and I advise everyone invest in one... When Kismet's boyfriend came calling after her season, a massive and very handsome red staffie (called Charlie I later found out). I was able to guage his friendliness at a nice arms length and get contol of him to see if we could find his mome... Which fortunately turned out to just round the corner

Charlie is a massive and muscled fellow... to say he looks like a younger, fitter slightly bigger version of Cesar Milan's Daddy I think gives away his breeding somewhat... His disabled owner was told he was an 'Irish bred American type Stafford'...

A friendlier and more amiable fellow you couldn't hope to meet however so I'm perfectly happy with his Irish pedigree...

Still I was glad Kismet was spayed and that I had that noose lead. I really wouldn't want to cross him. Sweet as he is... I wouldn't want to be anything that came between him and what he wanted.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=hectorsmum;1687884]

Thank you...........he is

just for you

Oh Hectooooor I love you sooooooooooo!!!!

I can't seem to get his picture up again though

Anyways, I'm off to buy a big water gun tomorrow after reading this thread

My little Zena got mauled to the ground on Saturday by a big gsd who was saying hello, then his mate came over SBT and decided to attack her, she went on her back in the undergrowth, but I wasn't going to hang about and let them get her, I saw a gap in the trees, and leaped in there and she followed, who can blame her!!! She was onlead, they weren't, and the owner? Well, he was half a mile down the path shouting at them
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I was avoiding the CM words like the plague Jenn for fear of kicking off a bitch fight !! But you said it, so yes, if you can do that lightening fast swoop downwards from above on the collar and scruff and pull with equally lightening speed, then fine, but I can't, I'm too old and wobbly on my pins. And I wouldn't kick a dog unless I absolutely had to because it was seriously hurting me ... I would hate you to think that I do such a thing for not much reason. I can't actually recall ever kicking a dog, simply because I have never been attacked. But if I were, I would not hesitate if it meant my ankle or the dog's hurt pride !

I agree with you regarding items ... except for water. It really does work, whether it be a hose, a water pistol or a bucket of water.

You're a brave girl too parting fighting GSDs !
I wasn't having a go at anyone if they kick a dog to get it off. That is their choice, I personally just won't do this. Water does however sound a very good idea.

I'm not brave lol, probs more along the stupid lines

Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
So has anyone got any advice in the specific situation of small dogs being attacked by a larger one?

As Cheeky Chi said this isn't a situation where the dogs can be left to sort it out and I know picking up little dogs is not a good idea, so what's the best course of action??

Thank goodness this has never happened to us and I have to say if it did I think Pepper, my Mini Schanuzer, would jump in to protect her brothers but she's hardly a big dog herself!

J
I would say your best option is to "guage" the dog coming at your little one and try and block it. If you make yourself as big as possible (so spread your arms and legs) it SHOULD put the "attacking" dog off as you will be big so his "chances" will be less, so they should just naff off (hopefully hehe)

I actually find breaking up bigger dogs fights easier than little dogs as there is more to grab hold of.

Protect your dog with your calm assertive body ! Get your little chap on his lead behind you, and protect him from the larger dog by blocking him with your body. You can use your voice, shouting No at the dog, or Down, or something like that, but do not go off on one at the owner at this stage, even though you might want to! Save that till later ! Once you have "rescued" your little ones, THEN you can attack the owner !
Excellent post!

Now that sounds a brilliant idea ! I've got several of those rope slip leads, they are great aren't they. I think I shall make sure I have always got one of those on me in future. You can safely harness your dog mid-fight without getting bitten. I think with most dogs as well, once they felt the familiar tug of a collar high up, as you describe, that will clear the "red mist" and bring them back. GSDs in particular I find are notorious at "red mist-ing". My experience is that they just won't give up, they keep coming and coming, like the Terminator, your dog is desperately trying to get away or submit, but the GSD won't allow them to, and it can end up with serious injury.

Very good suggestion Random, I shall make sure I carry one of these leads in future.
Please don't label GSD's like this. I have only ever come across one GSD that is like this. I find it is more so little dogs that come back "for more".

Other than the one previously stated, any agressive GSD that I have come across (not many in all fairness) have had one pop and then went back. A lot of the thing with GSD's is that they are gobby, which people perceive as agression.

If you see Jess when she is on lead, and you don't know GSD "language" you would probs think she is agressive... But she isn't! People just misinterpret GSD's farrr too much.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Those noose leads arean absolute godsend and I advise everyone invest in one... When Kismet's boyfriend came calling after her season, a massive and very handsome red staffie (called Charlie I later found out). I was able to guage his friendliness at a nice arms length and get contol of him to see if we could find his mome... Which fortunately turned out to just round the corner

Charlie is a massive and muscled fellow... to say he looks like a younger, fitter slightly bigger version of Cesar Milan's Daddy I think gives away his breeding somewhat... His disabled owner was told he was an 'Irish bred American type Stafford'...

A friendlier and more amiable fellow you couldn't hope to meet however so I'm perfectly happy with his Irish pedigree...

Still I was glad Kismet was spayed and that I had that noose lead. I really wouldn't want to cross him. Sweet as he is... I wouldn't want to be anything that came between him and what he wanted.

I LOVE Daddy ! He is absolutely gorgeous !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I wasn't having a go at anyone if they kick a dog to get it off. That is their choice, I personally just won't do this. Water does however sound a very good idea.

I'm not brave lol, probs more along the stupid lines

I would say your best option is to "guage" the dog coming at your little one and try and block it. If you make yourself as big as possible (so spread your arms and legs) it SHOULD put the "attacking" dog off as you will be big so his "chances" will be less, so they should just naff off (hopefully hehe)

I actually find breaking up bigger dogs fights easier than little dogs as there is more to grab hold of.

Excellent post!

Please don't label GSD's like this. I have only ever come across one GSD that is like this. I find it is more so little dogs that come back "for more".

Other than the one previously stated, any agressive GSD that I have come across (not many in all fairness) have had one pop and then went back. A lot of the thing with GSD's is that they are gobby, which people perceive as agression.

If you see Jess when she is on lead, and you don't know GSD "language" you would probs think she is agressive... But she isn't! People just misinterpret GSD's farrr too much.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to pick on GSDs, I love the breed personally, but again personally, I DO find that the males in particular, whether castrated or not, are a bit full on in the way I have described ! After all, they are shepherd dogs are they not, bred to guard the flock and all that? They have a breed propensity to be forward going, and what's wrong with that, nothing, but it is my personal view ... and I am very familiar with the breed ... that they do tend to keep coming back, and coming back, even when the other dog is saying "Pax ! Pax !" I am NOT bashing GSDs, I love them, and live next door to a gorgeous pair whom I adore only slightly less than my own dog. If I wasn't so mad about my wolfy guys, I would definitely have one.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7