Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Hot weather - cooling coat

This hot weather shows no sign of going anywhere anytime soon, my 13 year old springer spaniel is very uncomfortable, so I have bought a "cooling coat", it cost £54 but I've been advised that these coats are very good for hot dogs, I pick it up tomorrow.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2018, 12:25 PM
I have seen quite a few wearing them at shows. They look really good, and I was very tempted. This being England, I also thought that the warm weather would break as soon as I forked out the cash! My smooth-coated pair appear to have enjoyed the heat. They soak up the sun for a while, then come indoors and chill out on their cool mats - the first year they have really used them properly. They have been also been wearing (human) neck warmers soaked in cold water.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2018, 11:08 AM
The thermometer in my bathroom was reading 32 degrees centigrade at 7PM the other day, I believe the cooling coat saved Justin's life - I think he might have died from heat-stroke without it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2018, 11:19 AM
It rained overnight and this morning. Still drizzling. The temper is a pleasant 16C but the 95% humidity makes me sweat continuously. .
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2019, 08:28 AM
I’ve recently got a cooling coat for my 9 month old Springer who has only one speed- super fast!
I’m still not sure just how well it works- he still pants like a train during his run through the fields, but his body beneath the coat is actually cool, so l suppose it’s working on some level!
I was surprised to see that the coat is just a synthetic chamois, (shammy leather) that you use to dry off your windows and car! If you’re handy with a sewing machine you could probably run up a coat a lot cheaper than buying one. The shape is simple enough.