View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 09:45 PM
I would really choose to have two puppies but there was a reason why we had our two.

It is not something i would say that people should do.

sarah xxxx
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 10:09 PM
it is almost as if they have one brain between two dogs and quite creepy.
My three have one brain CELL between them and it never seems to be Polo's turn!

Gill
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by spotsmad
My three have one brain CELL between them and it never seems to be Polo's turn!

Gill
PMSL!!!! :smt005

sarah xxxxx
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by spotsmad: My three have one brain CELL between them and it never seems to be Polo's turn!
:smt018 Gill you mean mean mummy post poor Polo over to me and i'll look after the gorgeous lad
lovestaffsblu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Nope I would never do it again. I have two sisters, still only about 6 months old but it is hard.

They would much much rather play and fight together than listen to people so thats why they are in differant kennels.
This will most deffantly be the last time I have two pups at the same time.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 12:57 AM
I think Spotsmad has hit the nail on the head. Great if you know what you're doing, not a good idea otherwise.

For example a lady in the village bred her ESS and a fella in the village took two from the litter and they're both great (apart from one having to be castrated due to agression problems) very well behaved, trained and adjusted.

There's also a a retired gent who decided to get two black Labs from the same litter and he's struggling. They're both lovely but very boisterous and don't really pay attention to what they're being told!

Another thing to consider is having two lots of vaccs, neutering and possibly both dogs passing away at the same time? Or due to pining for the other?

I'd always prefer to have at least a year between dogs, gives time for a bit of training!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Even if you know what you are doing how do you find time to exercise and train 2 dogs, it must take hours and then if they are to bond with you and not one another you have to set aside some playing time individually for each one as well as separate training and exercise time.

It is not to difficult to have two pups in the house at the same time but if you have not succeeded in the individual training and bonding two adolescents together are a different story.

It will I suppose depend on the breed concerned as an out of control small dog is not such a problem as one of large side, and you have genteel breeds like greyhound and tearaways like boxers so I would think it depends on if you have enough hours in the day and the dog is biddable.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 10:08 AM
well a while back we kept two littermate staffies, and we already had two adult staffie, three dobies, 5 cats, plus my parents were attempting to raise children./
Rearing two pups at once IMO is easier than 1, rearing 2 staffie pups IMO is brinking upon madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I kept two of my malamutes from a litter we had in December they are now coming to eight months old, I thought it would be easy peesy to be honest as I trained my older ones quite easlily, boy was I mistaken, they have been hard work. I wouldnt change them for the world now, but if I could go back in time I would definatley have just stuck to the one,

Mo
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 10:44 AM
We got Milly, pointer, in May and Pippa, springer, in August so there isn't much age difference in them. It was HARD work. I walked and trained them separately and spent hours doing so. I wasn't working so had all the time that I needed. After going through that, I know I wouldn't manage two pups the same age. I had a bit of a head start with Milly before Pippa came along and I can't imagine doing it all twice at the same time.

Helen
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >