Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Me too, but at least the habit of lifting small dogs off the judging table by the lead and tail seems to have disappeared.
Hopefully! I hate that too!

Although it wasn't so long ago I remember seeing that at either the group judging or BIS, can't remember which but I remember thinking it was horrible.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
The Best of Breed award was not given to Pekingese, Palacegarden Bianca, or Bulldog, Mellowmood One In A Million, following their veterinary checks, which were carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon. This means that the dogs will not be allowed to continue into the Toy or Utility Best in Group competitions respectively.
In order to be eligible for BOB the dogs in question must have won their classes.
If any dog had a problem so serious it warranted elimination this should have been picked up by the judge before the dog won.

Years ago dogs used to be checked by a vet as they entered the show, I guess the Crufts entry is now so large this is no longer possible.

If I had been showing one of these breeds I would be very angry.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
In order to be eligible for BOB the dogs in question must have won their classes.
If any dog had a problem so serious it warranted elimination this should have been picked up by the judge before the dog won.

Years ago dogs used to be checked by a vet as they entered the show, I guess the Crufts entry is now so large this is no longer possible.

Yes good point - if you had turned up with a healthy dog and an unhealthy dog is placed over yours - especially unhealthy by conformation - as I assume its not a case the dog has bannged his toe and is limping when the vet sees him
it would be very sickening
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Perfectly said! - I would like to know what the 'checks' entail!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Absolutely brilliant to hear this! I can't believe it!

Yep, definitely progress, hope it continues!

As for dogs being strung up when showing, I absolutely hate it, I think it's awful and much prefer to see a loose lead round a dog.
Me too - Stringing the dog affects it's movement too (as well as being unpleasant for the dog) so I've no idea why people would do it instead of training the dog to move on a loose lead.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:44 PM

That is a very good point indeed. Although how much of a difference is there between the likes of Pekes at shows like Crufts?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
This makes no sense to me at all
Changes have been made to the way that the fifteen high profile breeds are awarded Best of Breed, to ensure that only fit and healthy dogs are awarded Best of Breed.

The changes, which came into effect on 1 March 2012, mean that any dog in the fifteen high profile breeds which is selected as Best of Breed at Crufts 2012 and at all subsequent Kennel Club licensed General and Group Championship Shows, will need to be given a clean bill of health by the show veterinary surgeon before their Best of Breed award is confirmed and before they are allowed to continue to compete in the final stages of the show involved.

All veterinary surgeons who undertake these checks at shows will receive full training and guidance on how the checks should be carried out.
http://www.crufts.org.uk/news/high-p...aunched-crufts
These are the clinical signs the vet is checking for (taken from the KC site)

The clinical signs include:

Lameness – including ‘hopping’
Inappropriate temperament whether this is excessive timidity or aggression
A discharge from one or both eyes or any signs of discomfort in either eye especially if associated with poor eyelid conformation
Obvious breathing difficulty
Obvious skin or ear irritation or inflammation
If I am reading this correctly the vet check takes place after the judging but before the BOB for '15 high profile breeds' . So it is ok for a defective dog to win it's classes and even the CC but not best of breed

If a judge is not capable of spotting these things they should not be judging.
If I was an exhibitor of one of these breeds I would not be happy. The obvious thing is to do a vet check before the judging starts. This should have the effect off deterring anyone from showing a dog with obvious defects.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Wouldn’t it have been better to check the dogs before they enter, even if they check in the weeks leading up to the competition?

There would be a difference between the dog having a breed exaggeration, compared to a cut paw in the morning of the show making it lame.

Unfit dogs shouldn’t really get to the ring, and then the healthiest and best confirmation can win.

But then I don’t know anything about breed showing, or organising such a big show so might be a nightmare to do.

Is there anything that stops people getting corrective surgery on their dogs before the show?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
The dog is checked AFTER it has been awarded the BOB by the judge, for the 15 breeds its not set in stone until the vet has also agreed the dog is 'well' enough to have it!

The thing is we can say about the dog being 'ok' to win its class but if we looked at it that way EVERY single dog of the choosen 15 breeds would have to be vet checked before being allowed in the ring/placed.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Bull dog not passed the health test
Strange this wasnt mentioned when CB interviewed the rosette wearing owner of a female bulldog. He pointed out that she had good eyes, open nostrils (and she wasn't panting under the lights) etc etc.
Page 7 of 40 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »