Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Can't get insurance for an american bulldog cross

Finally got round to getting pet insurance for kaya, I sort of decided on pet plan but before I even got a quote, I thought I'd take a look at some others so went on gocompare.com, and selected staff cross when I went on to select american bulldog, it just said sorry we don't insure this type of cross. So looks like I'm going to struggle to get any insurance whatsoever because of her breed, so don't know what I'm going to do unless I just put her down as staff mixed but I like to be honest.
Anyone know why they don't insure staff cross american bulldog? Because it doesn't give an explanation I'm all confused
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Sainsburys didnt ask what cross Gracie was. I clicked on crossbreed and all it asked was what size, small medium or large (It gives weight options to choose from) May be worth a look. Their cover is very good.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Ah thanks, I'll take a look at sainsbury's now
X
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 07:54 PM
erm.. why cant u put her as a sbt mixed ...i thought she was one?

american bulldogs are not a registered breed here.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Petplan is just 'Crossbreed' for my Roxy, too.

ETA: I highly recommend Petplan too. They are one of the best pet insurers.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
Finally got round to getting pet insurance for kaya, I sort of decided on pet plan but before I even got a quote, I thought I'd take a look at some others so went on gocompare.com, and selected staff cross when I went on to select american bulldog, it just said sorry we don't insure this type of cross. So looks like I'm going to struggle to get any insurance whatsoever because of her breed, so don't know what I'm going to do unless I just put her down as staff mixed but I like to be honest.
Anyone know why they don't insure staff cross american bulldog? Because it doesn't give an explanation I'm all confused
i suppose with the inclusion of the word american and bull they could be deeming it american staff i.e.: pit bull terrier so therefore would be illegal breed and why they wouldn't insure.

A staff cross would be the best option to choose ultimately. Its honest as thats what she is,
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Your dog is not a breed it is a cross breed or mongrel, so just select this option. I know plenty of American Bulldogs which are insured, so I am not sure what the issue is.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Ah, didn't know that they were not a recognised breed, she's down in vets as staff cross anyway because my boyfriend registered her luckily enough.
I was just abit miffed as to why they wouldn't insure her, I'll choose one I want and put her down as staff mixed, I just feel like I'm lying now because when I put down exactly what she was it wouldn't allow it.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
Ah, didn't know that they were not a recognised breed, she's down in vets as staff cross anyway because my boyfriend registered her luckily enough.
I was just abit miffed as to why they wouldn't insure her, I'll choose one I want and put her down as staff mixed, I just feel like I'm lying now because when I put down exactly what she was it wouldn't allow it.
Dont feel bad. You're not lying. She is staffie cross.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I was with Sainsbury's with Cherry and I remember when her policy renewal came through there was a whole list of breeds they would not insure anymore. They weren't all bull-breeds but a lot of breeds where you tend to think of there being more health problems so I guess they are more picky now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >