Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Violence in society

I've posted this as there seems to be a lot of indifference on how we react under certain circumstances. With our ever esculating problems with violence within our society, how would you react if confronted by a violent person?
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I suppose I must reply to Shiba's post here then :smt001
I think hitting someone with a baseball bat could lead to a prison sentence even for a mother, it ought to.
If these people have a drug industry background I doubt attacking them with baseball bats would get them out of your life. Theirs is already a violent world and they would respond in kind and are likely to retaliate with something worse. For instance if you use a baseball bat they will come back with knives. You use knives they come back with guns, that is how violence breeds violence. It is pointless. The only recourse is not to get involved where ever possible and leave all justice to the authorities. It is upsetting when there is lack of evidence but we would not like a justice system that worked with out it and there really are not better options.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 12:43 PM
There's also the fact Hewey that reporting people like these also prevokes yet another attack.

People in area's like Shiba's will deal with things with violence. Unfortunatly, calling the police makes matters worse and before you know it, you end up with armed mobs on your doorstep, you're home violated and your family threatened.

I've seen this type of thing way too often The attacker is arrested and the victim end up with very angry friends and family after them
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I suppose I must reply to Shiba's post here then :smt001
I think hitting someone with a baseball bat could lead to a prison sentence even for a mother, it ought to.
If these people have a drug industry background I doubt attacking them with baseball bats would get them out of your life. Theirs is already a violent world and they would respond in kind and are likely to retaliate with something worse. For instance if you use a baseball bat they will come back with knives. You use knives they come back with guns, that is how violence breeds violence. It is pointless. The only recourse is not to get involved where ever possible and leave all justice to the authorities. It is upsetting when there is lack of evidence but we would not like a justice system that worked with out it and there really are not better options.

Hi, hewey - i think i'm following you today

I agree with alot of your post, in an ideal world i would go to prison, but also in an ideal world these idiots would not get away with things time and time again.. I see it, as for lack of evidence, we had the canister, we had witnesses who made statements stating they heard her abuse to my husband and she was on my property. She had to have purchased the pepper spray from somewhere and if they wanted to prove she owned it, i think they could have but the cps didn't want to take it any further.

The world i live in, i feel that I have to defend myself and my family because no one else will do it for me. That is from experience. I telephoned 999 on 2 occassions when people where being violent outside my house (not to me though i may add) they were fighting and trying to hit each other with scaffolding poles, they then threw a bike which landed on my car. I called 999 and it honestly took them 2 DAYS to come and talk to me. My husband was away working and i was alone with my children frightened.

I have druggies who live opposite me, and your right i do my up most to stay out of there lives but its difficult. They fight and have ended up in my garden, mother has stabbed the father, son has been in prison 2 times and released for good behaviour. He has just had his tag taken off last week and currently leaves his house every night around midnight looking for another house to break in to.

My car was keyed twice in one week because i looked over in his direction. He hurled abuse but Again police state there was no evidence that it was them.

I don't want to get a baseball bat out and threaten people, i would rather telephone the police and have them sort it out for me. But unfortunately it doesn't happen.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 12:59 PM
This leads to another question though. If you saw someone being attacked in the street, what would you do?
Call the authorities, then stand back and watch the attack continue, or jump in and try to stop it?
I know what I would do and what I have had to do in the past. I would contact the authorities, but I would also do everything in my power to stop the attack in the meantime by whatever means necessary.
May be right, may be wrong but I could not stand back and wait around for the authorities while someone was being brutally attacked.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
This leads to another question though. If you saw someone being attacked in the street, what would you do?
Call the authorities, then stand back and watch the attack continue, or jump in and try to stop it?
I know what I would do and what I have had to do in the past. I would contact the authorities, but I would also do everything in my power to stop the attack in the meantime by whatever means necessary.
May be right, may be wrong but I could not stand back and wait around for the authorities while someone was being brutally attacked.
I'd do the same J. I would call the authorities, then do whatever it takes to break it up. I know it's wrong to treat violence with violence, but this day and age, it seems the only thing that some people will listen too
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Unfortunatly, calling the police makes matters worse and before you know it, you end up with armed mobs on your doorstep, you're home violated and your family threatened.
(
You are more likely to end up at the mercy of an armed mob if you remove the justice system from your lives.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I'd do the same J. I would call the authorities, then do whatever it takes to break it up. I know it's wrong to treat violence with violence, but this day and age, it seems the only thing that some people will listen too
I just couldn't stand back and watch it happen without trying to do something about it. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try to stop it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think there is any room for violence in our society.

Violence on a big or small scale, whether that be unjust wars or gangs of people on the street level, pre-emptive strikes or organised bashings.

Self defence is not the same - if you are attacked you are within your right to defend yourself. If someone is being attacked then by all means make your own decision whether you want to try and break it up. But trying to break something up is different to getting a gun or baseball bat and taking one of them out - you never know what's behind the incidence to begin with and it would be foolish to 'take sides' with very little background knowledge.

Jmo
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:15 PM
There's also the fact Hewey that reporting people like these also prevokes yet another attack.

People in area's like Shiba's will deal with things with violence. Unfortunatly, calling the police makes matters worse and before you know it, you end up with armed mobs on your doorstep, you're home violated and your family threatened.

I've seen this type of thing way too often The attacker is arrested and the victim end up with very angry friends and family after them
an excellent point.

The people who live opposite (druggies) live in a council property. It is very easy to think, contact the authorities, make notes then take them to court and get them out. Before i lived here neighbours tried to do this on several occassions. When the people opposite realised what was going on they threatend, damaged property and intimidated everyone. They have no care so didn't think twice about shooting a firework through somebodies living room window who had small children sat in that very room at the time. In the end people backed out, they were frightened and i can understand that. The authorities couldn't protect them and the case was dropped.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »